1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Applying KTM finish with a brush

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Mar 29, 2006.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Has anybody done it? I have been spraying rattle can poly and am looking for an alternative. I was wondering about this product.......t

2. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    I was planning to ask this as well, as I'm soon to begin finishing and the piece of maple I have is the softest I've ever seen. Oil and wax was the original plan, but I'm thinking I may have to use something with a bit of durability.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You can brush lacquer if you are patient and have a good brush.

I have heard that the KTM products can be brushed on. I don't think you'll want to use a cheap-o foam or horse hair brush unless you want bubbles and streaks. And keep in mind you will do a lot more sanding/leveling when you use a brush than you are probably used to with the rattle cans.

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Curious: what brand were you using for spray-on, and how did they turn out?

5. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Minwax fast drying poly. High gloss. Walmart. I started using it because it will handle a higher humidity than the lacquer I was using will. It works it just takes several coats followed by 3 days of drying then sanding and more coats etc.etc. I just am not ready to invest in a compresser and spray system yet. I want to know about other options for a hard finish without doing that.....t

6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

+1 on the spray system. My wife is going to dig a basement and lock me in it if I spend any more on tools right now. I just sank a bunch into parts/tools for fretting, leveling, and such.

I've got another thread going on Pedulla's finishes (the natural ones on the thunderbasses) somewhere. My thunderbass has a nice and hard finish, though it's not a thick poly or lacquer finish. It's an oil/urethane mix that is supposed to sink in and cure, and now I'm looking for something comparable.

7. General Finishes have a couple of product that look interesting.

Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal

They are wipe on and/or brush on finishes. I've read reviews where people have gotten good results using seal-a-cell for a sealer and a couple of coats of arm-r-seal for a finish. I probably will try them out soon. I'm just not sure when.

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Hey Ryan I thought you were busy at work? :D

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Yup, that's exactly what I was looking at yesterday. If I get a chance this weekend, I'll pick some up seal-a-cell clear finish and arm-r-seal satin and try them out on scrap walnut pieces.