1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Applying Nitro Vintage finish to regular maple fretboard?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Systolic, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    I'm in the middle of a project. Taking a Squier VM P and getting it close as I can to the '57 Fender P both tonally and aesthetically. My next step is to figure out the neck situation. Currently, the bass has the stock rw fretboard. Originally, my goal was to just find someone who is parting out VM P with the maple neck and grabbing that. Much to my chagrin, I found the flaw in my plan, those necks don't have the vintage finish on them.

I'm ok with not having that exact specs as far as the the true vintage neck goes (fret wire size, radius etc..) but I would really like to at least get the proper color down.

I know there is a company that makes aerosol sprays in a lot of true to spec colors (the name escapes me at the moment.) My question is, do they make the proper stuff for me to do this project?

It would definitely be the most cost effective and easy route. My only other option would be to try and fit and actual '57RI neck on to my bass, or get a warmoth neck. In both cases, the neck is gonna cost more than I paid for the entire original bass, and with the former, there are probably going to be some fitting issues.

What do ya'll think? :confused:

2. The company is called ReRanch...And they have some awesome products...The have clear nitro,and vintage amber nitro both in spray cans,both in gloss and satin...They're products are great and if you follow their guide and take your time you can do a pro job yourself...I've done a couple of basses with their product..Here's a pic of my Squier VM TB bass that I stripped down and shot amber vintage nitro on the neck and nitro vintage cream on the body...
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. Guitar ReRanch ~ Guitar Refinishing Products

Tinted Clear Coat Aerosol

The Guitar Refinishing and Restoration Forum

The finish on the VM P neck is polyurethane. The ReRanch products are nitro. Read post #10 in this thread for more specifics on applying the nitro over the poly.

4. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    I just applied 3 coats of satin nitro (from reranch.com) to a new Warmoth maple neck for a project I'm doing. I'll prolly apply a coat or two of neck amber to give it a slightly darker "vintage" look, then several more coats of satin nitro. I've thought about painting the body vintage cream, but it has nice grain and a good thick poly coat, so ... we'll see. There is just something classic about a vintage looking (ambered) neck and a vintage cream body though ...

Just take your time, do your homework up front, and you should be good!

5. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    ReRanch! That's it. Anyway, this is great info guys. Thanks so much. The realistically priced project is back on. Now I just need to find a VM P Maple (fretboard) neck. I'd even be willing to do a straight up swap for my rw. Anybody have leads?