Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Applying pick vs fingers

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Wes Whitmore, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I have never posted anything like this before, and I haven’t seen one, but I would like to have your opinion on which song you would use a pick, and which song you would use fingers. I am dominantly fingers, but on faster 4 note 16ths (like punk), it think a pick sounds better. Sometimes it is tough to tell what the original artist uses. An example is any one from the Foo Fighters. It is mixed down in such a way that it doesn’t sound like a pick on many songs, but I know the bass player does use one. You don’t have to do the whole list if you don’t want to. Anything will help.
    Also, if anyone is covering any of these songs, please let me know if you are using any particular effect to achieve your sound. I can’t get Song 2 to sound right with what I have. This might be the wrong forum for the effects though.
    Thanks,
    Wes

Song 2 – Blur
    Little Things – Bush
    Learn to Fly – Foo Fighters
    Long Way Down – Goo Goo Dolls
    Geek Stink Breath – Green Day
    Hate to Say – Hives
    Celebrity Skin – Hole
    Papa Don’t Preach – Kelly Ozborn
    Rock & Roll All Night – Kiss
    Look What the Cat Dragged In – Poison
    Cumbersome – Seven Mary Three
    Sex Type Thing – Stone Temple Pilots
    Fat Lip – Sum 41
    Gasoline – Seether
    Hit That – Offspring
    All My Life – Foo Fighters

2. Pick
    nice guys finish last - green day
    bonzo goes to bithburg- the ramones
    lounge act- nirvana
    maxwell murder - rancid
    sacrifice theory- AFI
    fingers
    Pulling theeth -metallica
    Nib- Black sabbath
    All around the world - RHCP

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    pulling teeth is fingers same with Nib. All around the World is slapped isnt...

4. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Hmmm...I think that was a post theft!

5. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I could be mistaken, but from what I've seen and heard, this is how most of the bands play the songs you listed.
    Blur - Not Sure
    Bush - picks
    Foo Fighters - picks
    Goo Goo Dolls - picks
    Green Day - picks
    The Hives - picks
    Hole - picks
    Kelly Osbourne's band - not sure
    Kiss - picks
    Poison - pretty sure it was picks
    Seven Mary three - not sure
    Stone Temple Pilots - fingers
    Sum 41 - picks
    Seether - not sure
    Offspring - picks

I don't know if this helps at all.

6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    just setting the record straight. :D

Parallel Universe by RHCP - Pick

Happy Now :D

7. Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Wow, I had no idea that many songs we cover are done with picks. I guess I can safely 'justify' using one on those songs now. Thanks for the help.
    Wes

8. I'm primarily a fingerstyle player (three or two fingers), but have started using a pick in the last year for various covers songs,

re. Foo fighters,
    at last night's covers gig I played "all my life" and "break out" fingerstyle for a change, and found I them more enjoyable this way.

you can't really hear the pick tone on Foo Fighters songs, even though Nate Mendel uses one.

I think i'll save the pick for songs where you can hear the pick attack on the original-
    eg. Violent femmes, Nirvana, The Cult, Blink182, Metallica (Newsted era).
    I was using a pick for Green day's "basketcase" but found I couldn't play fast string-crossing fills I'd thought up when I played it fingerstyle, so I've reverted to fingerstyle with a high-mid boost on that.

Bob Daisley used a pick on Ozzy Osbourne's "crazy train", but you can't really hear it, also there's a fast octave-skipping fill in the chorus that I find difficult with a pick, so i play it fingerstyle.
    (conversely the 16th note gallop under the guitar solo is trickier fingerstyle)