1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Applying rosin as the temperature cools...

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by ZH_Driver, Apr 28, 2010.

1. ZH_Driver

ZH_Driver

Feb 22, 2007
    Sydney
    I have only been playing a few months and I have noticed that as the temperature is dropping (I am in Sydney, Winter is approaching) it is a bit harder to get the rosin on the bow. Now Sydney does not really get that cold, but I am finding myself breathing on the rosin before I apply it so it will transfer. (I use Nyman rosin by the way).

Is this normal? I know that it will be harder as it gets cooler, but since the winters are fairly mild and people obviously play bass in much colder climates, then it should still apply well.

Any advice from those more experienced?

2. CT DB

CT DB

Apr 27, 2007
    Fairfield Cty, CT
    I put it in my pocket on my way to rehearsal to try and take the chill off it before I put it on.

3. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    I switch to pops in the winter, but if pops or nymans is still too hard for your liking, you could try soft oak rosin from http://www.gregorianstrings.com/

4. ZH_Driver

ZH_Driver

Feb 22, 2007
    Sydney
    Cheers. I think I'll go the pocket option. It doesn't get that cool here so hopefully that'll be enough.

Thanks

5. I'm in Melbourne, and also do the pocket trick. Otherwise just hold the cake in your closed hand for a few minutes - does make for a great non-slip grip with that hand, too.