Applying to UNT

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by Golemanjazz27, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Golemanjazz27

Golemanjazz27

Jan 15, 2006
    Miami Lakes
    Hi, I'm a high school bassist from the Miami area and I'm starting the college application process. I plan on applying to UNT as a jazz major and I have a few questions. First, if we apply as a jazz major does that we mean that we first have do to a classical audition (ie. the concerto movement and the two orchestral excerpts). Second, will sending a CD make any difference over doing a live audition as it is impossible for me to travel to Texas for an audition. Also what do you look for in regards to the five audition pieces in regards to technique and creativity?

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    Hello,
    Thanks for your interest in UNT. Bassists desiring a major in Jazz studies do not do a classical audition. All other majors do. A live audition is recommended in addition to submitting a video. Different things can be assesed live like sight reading that are not in the video that you prepare. You may be admitted provisionally with a video. Much of the details are on the website at www.jazz.unt.edu about what provisional means, but basically it includes re-auditioning after you arrive and completing certain courses. There are details about what to include on the video and what to prepare for the live audition.
    We are looking for players that can swing, have good technique, a sense of tradition mixed with a lean towards the future, the ability to play strong clear basslines, and play all with good time.
    Please communicate directly with me with any future questions about UNT at [email protected] .

3. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 7, 2021