1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Applying veneer to kit bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Robthebastard58, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Robthebastard58

Robthebastard58

Nov 21, 2015
    So here's the question. I bought a kit bass from a catalog a few years back and built it dyed and finished the body but I chose a water based satin finish polyurethane to seal it. Over a relatively short time it wore through in some spots and decided to refinish it. Instead of worrying about sanding through the quilted maple veneer, I bought a bird's eye maple one to put over it. Talking to the guy at Rockler where I buy all my stuff, he suggested contact cement since I don't have a vacuum table and I didn't want to use glue to avoid dyeing defects not to mention applying pressure to an uneven, irregular shape would be difficult especially when considering the seaming of the book matched veneer. The question is, is this an advisable option? If not, what would be better?

2. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I used regular Titebond wood glue. I filled a bunch of thick plastic bags with sand to have an even weight distribution over the entire surface, and it worked well