Applying Veneer

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by TribalisticBass, Oct 16, 2005.

1. How do you guys and veneer to a top? I read that there's a vacuum chamber involved or something like that? I just figured you just glue it up and clamp it like everything else. So what's the skinny?
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    The issue is to apply even pressure to the entire surface. That is necessary to avoid bubbles, or whatever you call that in english.

Vaccuum bags are the best alternative. Sand bags have been used with success, historically. Clamps and perfectly flat, very thick caul have also been used - with varying results, alas... Clamps and thinner cauls have also been used, with rather discouraging variation in the results.
  3. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
  4. Phil great link to exellent advice. Suburban, your advice was included in the forrum link. So thanks a lot guys.
  5. I didn't see the idea of sealing your veneer with shellac or spray poly. Or even using a paper backed veneer if you are going to bind the edge. One can even let the bleed be a plus and use a tinted epoxy so that it bleeds through heavy then sand it back. I've done a few experiments that worked pretty well in this regard using ash because it could then be filled from the front too. Or just use a true veneer glue that is designed not to soak as bad. I would start with 1/32" thick veneer anyway to get the thickest I could.
  6. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I think I asked this one elsewhere, and that link was great, but I'll ask anyway:

I'm planning on placing a thin veneer layer between the body and a 1/4" "laminate," and the another veneer layer between the 1/4" lam and the burl top. I've got a veneer roller and was going to use a thin layer of Orig. Titebond and a clamp-press. Any thoughts on this?