Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

appraisal

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonas_oxide, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, but i have had some inquiries about my bass, and if i want to sell it. now, it is ( as far as i am concerned) and awesome fretless lado custom out of the 80's, but i have no idea what its worth, honestly.
    i dont want to let it go for too little and get ripped off, but i dont want to rip anyone else off either.

i need your help!! :confused:

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    eBay is your best place to research values...

3. theres no way i will ever find one of these on ebay to compare it to

4. i think heavy duty might have meant put the thing up for sale on ebay - then however much it is sold for, well thats how much its worth :eyebrow: :confused:

5. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Actually I've seen two Lado basses sell on eBay in the last year. They both went for under $500. Being fretless might knock a few dollars off of that.

Bill

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Just did a quick check of both Blue Books..no values listed...only brief company histories.

I'd say $500 tops.

7. hi dude - what are these "blue books" you speak of? just want to know so i can look up my Vantage :D
    thanks

8. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Orion Blue Books

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
  10. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    That was a pretting interesting site. I was comparing between MSRP and Used list price on different manufacturers. It appears that Sadowsky retains more of its value compared to Fodera, Lakland, Curbow etc,,.

Bassconbeatz

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    A few years back when I was contributing to both Vintage Guitar Magazine as well as The Vintage Guitar Price Guide I used to track resales of various manufacturers comparing new "street price" (not MSRP) to "clean used" price and indeed at that time Sadowsky's had the highest resale values at about 80% of "new street". Most lines fell into the 55% - 65% bracket.

The data is now outdated by about 4 years+ and was collected prior to the introduction of Roger's "Metro" line so I don't know if the "Metros" may have brought down the resale values of NYC Sadowsky's or ot but I suspect that they may have a bit but not by much.

Lowest resale value at the time was....any guesses?

12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Carvin, Peavey, Ibanez?

13. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
  14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Think higher priced guys...all that you mentioned are in the 55-65% category except Ibanez which I think was around 50%.

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Actually Carvins were in the higher percentages because their "new street" prices are so low. Lower price point instruments tend to have higher percentage resale values just because there's not much room to go lower.

If you want to check this track some of the Rondo Music type basses. If a bass costs only $150 "new street" and can still fetch $100 "clean used" than it's at 66% resale value.

16. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
  17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Give that man a cigar...they were in the 35% range at best.

18. Bassconbeatz

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    I'll to take a cuban please. Do you think this happened due to lack of marketing, or bad R&D?

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Not sure but I'd say that it has more to do with the highly customized nature of the upper end Alembics than anything else.

One guy's dream bass does not float everybody's boat concept.