Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Appraising a '78 Sting Ray

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mattzink, May 2, 2003.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I posted this elsewhere on the site, but am hoping to get a better response here. although i haven't decided for sure if i'm going to sell it, feel free to email me if you think this might be the bass you dreamed of.

hello everyone -
    i'm thinking of selling my 1978 Musicman Sting Ray. (i haven't decided for sure.) i'm interested in buying an upright bass, so this one may have to go. here's the deal: all the parts are original. it has active electronics and a preamp. the finish is virutally flawless because a new, sunburst finish was put on it about 4 years ago by a local luthier named Ron Volbrecht. (it was black coming from the factory). the neck has also been shaved, making it highly playable. the maple fingerboard has the usual wear you'd expect for a bass this age.

in short, this is a player's bass, not a collector's bass. the action is low and it sounds phenomenal. here's what i want to know from you all: how much would YOU pay for this bass if i was to sell it? i can post pics so you can get a better sense of it's condition.

just curious and thanks - your "estimates" are not legally binding, by the way!

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know - I bought an Ashbory from mattzink earlier in the year, and it was a pleasure doing business with him.

If Talkbass had ratings for buyers and sellers, I'd give him five out of five stars.

3. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    thrash-jazz - you're too kind! i'm glad you put the good word in for me.

by the way, those interested should check out the aforementioned ron volbrecht's website:
    www.volbrechtguitars.com

as you can tell by the dry text accompanied by the photos of beautiful work, the guy's kind of an idiot saavant. and that's a compliment. he's hard to talk to, but he does great work.

thanks again thrash jazz - i needed the ego maintainence. it's good to hear from you!

4. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    it is indeed pre-Ernie Ball. i think it's when leo fender was still working there. normally, if it hadn't been altered in any way, i'd think i could get AT LEAST $1200 for it. do y'all think i could get that despite the alterations?

5. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    refinsishing a bass drops the value alot in a vintage bass. Id say $1200 is the outer limit i have seen realistically. You said it yourself its a players dream, not a collecters. Id guess maybe hundred more. Not that im dissing it, if i had 1200 laying around id buy it, i have a ernie ball stingray i love to death. It sucks thats why i keep all my basses and guitars teh same that i think i might sell sum day. Good luck with it. I picked up upright a while ago and its overrated. Keep the stingray.

6. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    wow man thanks for you input - it was interesting. why do you say upright is over rated? i'm curious - do you still have you upright? perhaps we could arrange a trade (especially since you're just 30 mins north of me) take care - hope to hear from ye, matt

7. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    anyone interested in emailing me questions or comments about the bass can do so at matthewzin@hotmail.com

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    The refin and neck work hurts the value. I'd say you are looking at about 900 max.

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I was going to say the same thing, I have a mint 79 all original and it was appraised at around 1450,