apprehensive about Carvin cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by beachgeddy, Jul 15, 2001.

1. beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    ok I've read some of the past threads on this but . . . I've decided on carvin's 210 tilt back combo (600 watts in a combo,yikes!!), but I would like to know, is their 18" cab at least functional or a total piece of shyat? surely the carvin 18 compares poorly with many other brands, I realize this. My two bands play in small-medium size clubs and its relatively loud rock music, I play a warwick5 and fretless4. So I just want a rig that works. have any of you carvin 18 owners found it to be money thrown away?
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I have the combo, and it's pretty nice. I bought the 1x18 with it, and it was reasonably adequate. But the drummer in the band I was in was very loud, and I needed to get more lows out, so I bought a more efficient Eden 2x15 to replace the 1x18 and added an R1000 head to my stack.

The 1x18 works okay, and is not a waste unless you decide you want to upgrade soon. If you have the money, you might consider a better 1x18 (or 1x15) than Carvin's.

I'm somewhat doubtful that the RC210 combo will really do well by itself in a loud rock band. The speakers sound nice, but they aren't very efficient, so you might have trouble being heard. An alternative would be adding an efficient 4x10 to your 2x10 sometime. Then you'd be heard okay - especially if you use the R600's full output.

- Mike
  3. I play a Carvin RL210T and RL115 weekly, which are owned by the house band bassist. They are loud enough to work in a bar for sure.

My problem with Carvin cabs is they use speakers that require much more internal volume than the Carvin cabinets supply. This really cuts off the low end response (I play a 5 string).
  4. speaking of carvin cabs....

how are their 2x10 and 4x10?I just bought an Ampeg B2R head and am going to be needing a cab for her.Problem is I can`t afford too too much due to buying the head I wanted.

5. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Yeah - I was just looking at my 1x18 gathering dust today, and I thought to myself: that cabinet is just too small for that honkin' Big Eighteen. (Their spec sheet shows Vas = 524 litres, or about 19 cu.ft., but the box is only about 6 cu.ft.) Carvin's 1x15 would work a lot better in it!
    - Mike