Apprentice question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Andrew Noury, Mar 25, 2002.

1. First, let me say that this is not a request for an apprenticeship with any of the esteemed luthiers.

What this post is about is what these men look for in an apprentice.

I am currently looking to apprentice with someone with hopes of doing repairs and eventually building professionaly and am wondering what skills I should have before approaching a repairman or luthier.

I am learning a lot on my own but am limited by my lack of tools which I find are quite expensive for many specialized things such as fret files and similar items.

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    I'll awnser this on the end of once being an apprentice. My guess was that he was looking for someone with desire, drive, ambition and willing to work hard for no or little pay. ;)

Be prepared to do non-guitar related work also, to earn your keep. Being an apprentice worked out great for me, you get to see everything that is involved with the business.

3. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I had a question about this sort of thing too - I have heard that most luthiers and repairpeople are rarely willing to take on apprentices. Is this true, and if so, why is that?

Also, is this the sort of work that could be made easier by having an assistant of some sort?
  4. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    The big reason it is uncommon in California is because insurance and workman's comp issues. The price jump from a 1 man shop to a 2 man shop isn't worth it for a lot of builders.