1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Approaching the sweet spot

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Deltatim, Jul 22, 2017.

1. Deltatim

Deltatim

Nov 5, 2016
    Stockton, CA
    I have only had this EUB for about 3 months, and really enjoying it. It was built by a local pro jazz player because he wasn't satisfied with the sounds he could get from what was available and affordable. He went thru 11 different body woods, everything else the same. Ended up with a particular type of cedar. It only has salvaged P pups on it. He was selling it for funds to build a bit nicer looking one. I have been working my way thru combinations of settings to find the most "acoustic like" tone sweet spot 20170722_212918. 20170722_212204. 20170722_212129. 20170722_212404. with what I have. Here are a few pics of what I have now. The pics save trying to explain everything.
    I am playing two churches each Sunday, early one is rather traditional, not used to strings outside of a piano, later service is a Cowboy Church, which is more like a country jam. Both groups are really enjoying the addition of the upright.

Randy Ward and David Jayne like this.
  2. Looks similar to a Palatino EUB.
    The fingerboard seems a bit short to me.
    What's the scale lenght, please?

3. Deltatim

Deltatim

Nov 5, 2016
    Stockton, CA
    Scale is 41". Yeah, fingerboard is a bit short. It was basicaly a experimental built from scrounged parts. He is working on his final version now. I hope to see and hear it in a few months. I am experimenting with a piezo pickup, trying different placements. Interesting exercise.