Approved by Paul - Research Survey

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by UofPittResearch, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UofPittResearch

Jul 28, 2005
    Please Note - the following post was approved by Paul (fourum founder and operator) via e-mail prior to posting

TalkBass Forum Survey

Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh are trying to better understand why people become regular visitors to online communities.

We would like to invite you to complete a 10 to 15 minute survey to share your thoughts as a visitor to online communities.

In appreciation for your time and insight, we are entering everyone who completes the entire survey into a drawing to win a $100 gift certificate (only one entry per person).

To take the online survey, please click on the following link, which will take you to the survey:
    TalkBass Forum Survey

Thank you in advance for your insight and time,
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I can give you an easy answer to your question - but you may not like it. :D

The easy answer is, because on-line discussions are a whole lot better than having to deal "instantaneously" with human idiocy.

In an on-line discussion, all parties have "time" to think, to consider the details of whatever equation is being discussed, and basically it serves as a very "global" way to share information - above and beyond just a person-to-person thing.

But when two people start arguing, they (both) tend to get emotional, and the argument typically descends into a horrible blow-out.

The on-line thing is even bringing people together these days, you've got stuff like eHarmony and so on, which is practically global (almost) right now.

The whole on-line thing is bringing people together, politically, psychologically, and information-wise, and it's a whole lot better than our bonehead news media, which is corrupt (through advertising dollars), biased, inaccurate, and generally not worth much of a d*mn these days anymore.

But on-line, on the 'net, I can get stuff in 30 seconds, that it used to take me days to research.

And that's a significant benefit.

Does that answer your question? :D
  3. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Done. I really want that gift certificate. Amazon is awesome.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Patrick Bateman? wasn't he the guy from AMerican Psycho? :p

oh and done.
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    After actually going through the survey I can very confidently tell you myself "No, that does not answer the question(s)."

Aside from that it's only one viewpoint (which is quite obviously the viewpoint of nonsqtr!) of why people use message boards. There are other reasons.

brad cook
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I came to realize that a lot of this is very general, and not very site specific. A lot of the reason I come is for the gear trading/selling, but the rest is to chat.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That was a good survey. I had to stop and think about a few of the questions. Allowed me some time to examine my habits here at TB, and elsewhere.

nonsqtr....I always appreciate your thoughts, I can tell you put alot of thought into your posts. In this case, I think your opinions about this topic represent a specific type of person, not people in general. I guess that's OK though. I don't find myself visiting internet message boards for any of the reasons you listed. I normally prefer human interaction. If TalkBass was a physical location here in my town, I'd prefer that.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Also done here.

Good luck with the survey.
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yay. The $100 is as good as mine.
  11. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
  12. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL

A fairly generic survey.
  13. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    What he said.