Approx. value of this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emor, Jun 30, 2004.

1. emor

May 16, 2004
    I have been thinking about making a bass. I am an experienced woodworker, but have never built an instrument before, so I've been looking around for a "project" bass--one that I can take apart and modify and learn my way around with. I may have found it, but am curious about how much it is worth.

It is a Japanese Fender PJ fretless with rosewood FB. According to the hang tag, it is an '88. It has a black headstock and black tuners and bridge. The color of the body is kind of a putrid olive green metallic.

The cosmetic condition of this instrument is (sigh) disappointing. While the neck seems straight and true, the body looks as though it has been used for batting practice. There are dings too numerous to count, and there is belt buckle damage through to the wood. The knobs are black plastic, one of which is missing a top cap.

I played it for a few minutes and it actually sounded pretty good, considering it has rounds on it. (I was also plugged into a small Hartke amp that was pretty impressive). I haven't had a fretless in a number of years and was turned on to the mwah all over again.

Were I to buy this bass, I would disassemble it and refinish the body, string it up with flats, new knobs, and perhaps investigate some pick up options.

This is for sale in a small store that deals in new and used equipment. The asking price, with case, is $295. Seems high, given its condition, but Japanese Fenders are generally held in pretty high regard around here, from what I've seen.
    What would be a reasonable offer?