1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

April 4th - MLK Assassination - U2, Bono and a brave bassist!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by tb-player, Apr 4, 2020.

1. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Every year, on this date, I'm reminded of this famous U2 lyric...

"Early morning, April 4
    shot rings out in the Memphis sky.
    Free at last, they took your life.
    They could not take your pride."

It's a wonderful U2 tribute to MLK who was killed on April 4th (actually in the afternoon) in Memphis, TN.

In checking out the song on Songfacts.com, I came across this amazing story that Bono tells about MLK, U2 death threats, the solidarity of their band and the bravery of their bass player, Adam Clayton.

U2 began their Joshua Tree Tour in Tempe, Arizona, where the governor was opposed to Martin Luther King Day being made a US federal holiday. By the time the band headed back to Tempe to close out the tour, they were receiving death threats for supporting the proposed holiday. Things took a serious turn before their gig at Sun Devil Stadium when someone claimed he would shoot Bono on stage if he sang the King-inspired song. Bono recalls in the band's book U2 by U2: "One night the FBI said: 'Look, it's quite serious. He says he has a ticket. He said he's armed. An he said if you sing 'Pride (In The Name Of Love),' he's going to shoot you.' So we played the show, the FBI were around, everyone was a little unnerved. You just didn't know, could he be in the building? Up in the rafters? On the roof? During 'Pride,' I was singing the third verse, 'Early morning April 4, a shot rings out in a Memphis sky.' I just closed my eyes and sang. And when I opened my eyes, Adam was standing in front of me."

2. great song!I like the story you posted.

3. tb-player

tb-player Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    Brave bass players unite!:D

Roxbororob, kobass and flannel cat like this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021