1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

APROX. how much to refrett a Fender Jazz bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by muddog, Jun 2, 2012.

1. muddog

muddog

Mar 3, 2012
    got a 73 fender jazz bass neck that someone made frettless at one time , I know costs will vary, but I'm trying to get an idea. I live in Ohio any guess?

2. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Depends what was done to fill the fret slots, but a refret should be in the $300 range.

3. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I can get a refret job done by a very good local luthier for around $200-$250 on an unbound neck, $300-$350 on a bound neck... I think this guy's prices are very reasonable, and his work is 1st rate...

- georgestrings

4. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    Man I gotta learn to do a fret job.

5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science!

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Right?

I've been apprenticing part-time with a local repairman. Done a bunch of re-frets now! There's a handful of specialized tools needed, but it's really a game of experience I'm learning. Sometimes it's a smooth operation, sometimes a major hassle of little 'issues'. Bound boards require a LOT of patience and care. I've run into overly-glued frets, fingerboard wood that is so brittle it chips constantly, full-tang barb frets to pull out of a bound neck (that was a major pain!) and frets that were so worn that the crown simply pulled off the tang! Sometimes it's a breeze too- I completely refretted a vintage Yamaha in an afternoon the other day. Played great!

In Nashville, $250-300 for unbound and $350-400 for bound and valuable vintage instruments is typical.

It is a job that many handy players could tackle themselves, but its the unforeseen issues that pop up that can really frustrate. Levelling and getting a great crown is a bit of an artform too.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005

I dunno - once you figure in all the time to do it as well as this guy does it, he's probably only getting around $10-15/hr... not to mention the money invested in tools, and the experience he's gained to be as good as he is at it...

- georgestrings

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I learned about 35 years ago...it won't make you rich.

8. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver/Boulder
    i would highly recommend our own john kallas if he is still doing this work. i had my 96 redone after some katrina damage and its the best neck (way better than before). The details such as rounded edges and smoothing are something he really excels at.

9. I'd have to also recommend John k, I know there will be shipping fees but his experience and work are so worth every penny

10. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

Yet another reason NOT to de-fret a bass. I really regretted doing this - buying a fretless bass or neck is a much better idea.

11. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    I don't really see the big deal if you don't plan to sell it and are capable of doing decent work.

I guess though if your planning on selling it its probably not the best idea.

I was considering buying a $100 Affinity and doing it, if it turns out bad oh well.
    However there are plenty of walk theoughs and videos all over the Internet.

12. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    The side dots are in the wrong locations. 100% deal-breaker for me.

13. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA

How so?

Sorry kinda new to all of this.

I'm assuming because on a fretless you actually have to play the fret line more so than between the frets ???

14. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

You assume correctly. On an unlined board the side dots are lined up with where the frets would be located rather than between them.