Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aquarium Rescue Unit

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Cornbread, Nov 6, 2000.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I just bought two ARU CD's: "Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit" and "In a Perfect World". I recommend both of them. Anyone else want to chime in on ARU?

2. "In A Perfect World" is awesome! I lent it to someone and they skipped town with it.. I need to find it again. The bass fills in "Stand Up People" and "How Tight's Yer Drawers?" are too cool!
    I saw Oteil and his band on Friday night and he is without a doubt one of the modern masters.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I used to catch Oteil as many nights as possible in a Va. Beach bar band back in the mid-'80s. He's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet; he always seemed genuinely interested as to what I was up to.
    Believe me, I picked his brain on many a break!
    Somewhere there's a VHS tape that has Oteil attempting to "pants" me on the beach! Funny guy!
    Oteil is another of those guys that started on drums & then picked up the bass(he had only been playing about 5 years back then...& he was ripping!).
    On PERFECT WORLD, I really dig his composition, "Plain Or Peanut".

...and I don't wanna forget about Jimmy Herring! Cool player!

Dave-
    In a different thread, I saw you picked up LOVE OF A LIFETIME; I agree with you that it's happenin'...IMHO, I wouldn't call any of it "smooth" Jazz. :D

Cornbread-
    There's another ARU disc called MIRRORS OF EMBARRASSMENT; it's worth getting, too.

...also, there's EEEPEE, an EP that preceeded PERFECT WORLD(4 tunes-"Satisfaction Guaranteed"; "How Tight's Your Drawers"; "Emotion Overload"; & "Highly Overrated").

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I have the first and the second CDs. they are phenomenal..

I wonder if they ever tour in the West Coast.

Also, who's playing bass while Oteil is playing with the Allmans?

Will C.:cool:

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BW-
    I'm assuming ARU is on hold; Herring is playing with Jazz Is Dead, Jeff Sipe is with Jonas Hellborg/Shawn Lane(I think); Oteil & Kofi are doin' Oteil & The Peacemakers.
    In addition to the Allmans' gig, Oteil is playing with Frogwings(Herring, Derek & Butch Trucks, John Popper, etc).
    Busy guy...

6. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    JimK- Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to look around for those other albums. Is Col. Bruce Hampton a permanent member of the band or just a guest? I'm going to listen more carefully and try to play some of the stuff. "Plain or Peanut" is pretty challenging.
    BTW Oteil and the Peacemakers just recently were in Boston. I'll have to catch them next time they're up here.

7. Cornbread,
    Col. Bruce hasn't been with the ARU for several years. He's had a couple of other bands since. One was called the Fiji Mariners, and now he has a group called the Code Talkers. The ARU has continued without him.
    And definitely see Oteil next time he comes around!! After the first set, I couldn't decide whether to stick around for the rest of the show or go home and practice! Watching him just made me want to play.

8. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Jim:

It's col when you have a band arrangememt like that, in which you're allowed to pursue other interests.

Anyone have the Oteil/Howard Levy/Steve Smith/some guitar player's collaboration?

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BW-
    Yeah, I got THE STRANGER'S HAND(Steve Smith "productions").

BTW-
    It's Jerry Goodman(Mahavishnu Orchestra)on violin who rounds out the 4-tet(though he does play guitar on 1 track, I think).

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    How do you like it, Jim?

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BW-
    I like THE STRANGERS HAND "OK"...there's some pretty decent Funk cuts on the cd. Honestly, I'm kinda in a different bag of late; electric-wise, Oteil's solo disc, Willis' BENT, even Victor Bailey's LOW BLOW are "better"(IMHO).
    Too, I'm not a big Steve Smith fan; I do appreciate the fact he's putting out some decent Fusion discs in this day & age.
    http://www.fusemag.com may have more about this & similiar releases.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I really suggest checking out Frogwings, not only for Oteil,
    but for some great guitar playing also. I don't think there
    is an album that Oteil has played on, that will not make you
    want to practice,he is that good! For Allman brother fans there is a live C.D. that is being released on tuesday 11/14
    with Oteil on it.

13. I saw Frogwings about three years ago, and you are right, Jerry.. the guitar playing was killer. Jimmy Herring and Derek Trucks.. wow! Herring in particular.. endless cool stuff just seemed to flow out of him. I went mostly to see Oteil but he didn't really do much at that show, so the guitar playing definitely caught my ear.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    I did a little nosin' around; The Allman Brothers have an album coming out tomorrow(11/14)called PEAKIN' AT THE BEACON. Is that what you're talking about? The info I got sez it's an old concert...w/ both Berry Oakley & Duane Allman.
    Yeah, that "old".

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...duh! Was I fed some disinformation or what?!
    I checked out The Allmans LIVE cd today at the store; NO CREDITS on the back, though, it does say the disc was recorded in March, 2000.

It's gotta be Oteil(no Duane Allman, either).

16. I don't know how many Col. Bruce Hampton fans are aware of this but did you know that he and his band were the rather poor garage band portrayed in "Slingblade"? When I saw the movie, I remarked on...how shall I say this...eclectic the members of the band were. It wasn't until I say the credits that I understood why.

I got to see them open for The Steve Morse Band at the Center Stage Theater quite a few years ago. At that time it was ARU with the Colonel.

17. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I was at that same concert, Hambone. I wish Center Stage still had shows. I saw that show and Joe Satriani w/Stu Hamm within a couple of months. That was truly an eyeopening experience.