Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Aquiring Ampeg Stuff..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hey, im wanting to buy a cab and head, and ive got my eyes on the Svt pro 4 head and the PR-410HLF cab, would the head be able to handle the cab? is this a good setup to choose?

Any info would be helpful, thanks.

:)

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    well, any head can handle any cab as long as the cabinet isnt below the amp's minimum impedance rating (for solid state amps) or as long as the impedance of the cab is able to be selected on the head (for tube amps). you can't underpower a cabinet, only be underpowered for your given volume needs. as long as the head can handle the impedance load, a cabinet cannot "hurt" a head. I belive the 4 is stabel down to 4 ohms and the 410 in question is either 4 or 8 ohms so you're ok. is it a good combination? well that's more subjective. i'll let the ampegers chime in.

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    im not really sure about all this 'ohms' stuff im new to cabs and heads.. ive been using combo's, cheers though.

4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Sure.
    It is a 4 ohm cabinet (600/1200W), the SVT-4PRo can handle down to 2 ohms per channel, or 4 ohms bridged.

The pair are fine together, and the cabinet at 600 W (1200W program) should be OK bridged or on a single channel.

Bridged, you are over the power rating, but that generally isn't a problem except in extreme cases. That issue has been discussed a lot here. You can do a search and find it discussed in painful detail, with all the possible issues.

I would only be concerned if you were really into extreme low end boost, and/or had a 6 string and a heavy playing style. In those cases, it is often better to have more cone area (more speakers).

5. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Well i like a lot of bottom end, and im only usually in D or Db tuning when playing with my band, so i guess it shouldnt be that much of a problem right?.. and thanks for the info, just needed to know whether it would be a good idea (knowing that there shouldnt be a problem with them both functioning) getting that head and that cab, cheers.

6. xonebass

xonebass

Feb 17, 2005
    Orange, CA
    I am currently running one side of my QSC PLX-3402 (about 1200 W) into an Ampeg PR-410. I agree that you could run the amount of power that you want to the cabinet, but you would have to be careful of the low-end creasing your cones or blowing a speaker.

After about 6 months of use on my Ampeg PR-410 with this setup I had creased 3 of the 4 cones and blown one speaker. Being that I play a 5 string and I like the low B AND a lot of bass I would have to attribute most of the problem to that. Additionally, I was running about 600 W over the RMS. :rollno:

Because I liked the cabinet so much, I simply replaced all the speakers with Eminence Delta 10's. Now I can run 2000W RMS into my cab with no problemo. :p

7. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    haha! Nice idea. A "Make-your-own" Avatar, if you will :p

8. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    Ditching yours too? :)

Troll

9. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    haha! Yeah... I'm trying to do it locally... since people somehow dont seem to have a major demand for the Wooten/Bailey models (No matter how amazing they sound or how much I have kept them dearly pampered ;) )

10. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Thanks for that man.. so is there a easier way of avoiding blowing or creasing the cones of the speakers?, like a different head? or.. a cab? would i be safe with a 6x10? or is there no way of really avoiding this problem?

Cheers :)

11. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    You need to look at the power ratings. At 4ohms bridged, the 4Pro will put out its maximum 1200Watts.

Now... theres now LAW or nothing out there.... but on average, you'd want a cab that would handle about 800Watts RMS at least. For Ampeg, that's the 810E. Still, you could get by with the 610 as well, but you'd have to be more careful.... and by that, I mean dont turn the gain up to 3 o'clock and the Master up to 4 o'clock, and then proceed to thrash out a low-B.

If the 810 is too big, or too expensive for you, you can piece together 2 cabs of any brand that would match the 4Pro's power.

12. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Ok thanks man.

(sorry for the odd questions, im a cab and head newb).