Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arban's Conservatory Trumpet Method for Bass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by jazzbo, Jul 19, 2001.

1. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I've been spending a lot of time recently on Arban's Conservatory Method for Trumpet, (I used to play trumpet). It's a great book, I love the exercises. I've gotten a lot of rhythmic and melodic ideas from playing the exercises. Because I've gotten so into this book recently, I've been neglecting my sight reading exercises in bass clef.

Are there any Bass Clef Method books that anyone can recommend. I've heard of Simandl's but wanted to know how it ranks amongst others, or if it is the only one. This would be for BG, although I would have no problem using a DB book if it presented better exercises.

Thank you.

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Rich Appleman's Berklee Press book is good for sight reading on bass guitar; it's got a lot of tricky rhythms and time signatures. None of the lines are so long or monotonous that you'd get bored or discouraged trying to work them out. (Unlike Simandl.) There isn't much in the way of explanation or fingerings, but if you already know the basics of technique, it shouldn't matter.

There's some interesting reading material at www.libster.com, if you haven't already checked that site out.

3. There's a study-book for bass-clef instruments which I picked up in the UK on my last visit. I can't remember the title or publisher, but I'll dig it out and post details here.

You could do a lot worse than getting into the JSB 'cello suites - great for sight-reading, fabulous for technique, they also impress the hell out of anyone within earshot - (when you've mastered them, that is... ;> )

- Wil

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Thanks for the replies.

I do have the cello suites, and they are phenomenal for sight reading practice. I like the idea of getting Arban's for Trombone. I went to the music store and they didn't have Arban's, so I checked out Bille's DB Method book. After reading through that one for awhile, I decided I'd give it a try. Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sometimes I feel I just gotta get out of the Real Book though. If I see ii7-V7-I7 one more time!!!!

Okay, I'm feeling better now. It's the Aebersold books that do it for me. The changes are written in such tiny text, and one line will have 5 bars, the next 4, the next 2, etc etc, and they're not all uniform size. I'd rather look at a Real Book anyday. If DURRLY heard my rant he'd probably kick my ass.

Okay, I'm better for sure this time.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    jazzbo,

Do you have a real book in bass clef? It's great for playing the melodies to the tunes. There's also Simandl's "30 Etudes For The String Bass" though they're meant to be played with a bow, they're still useful as bass clef reading material.

7. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't. My Real Book is in treble clef, so I read the melodies from that.