Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

archtop tailpiece

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Phil Mastro, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    okay, so it's a guitar question... :bag:
    I'm building a chambered archtop guitar for my brother, and I want to make a wooden tailpiece. Problem is, I'm not too sure how to attach it to the body.
    Can I just screw it to the top? I have no metal working tools, so any metal parts are out of the question. I thought of just glueing a piece at the end of the tailpiece that would go down the edge of the body and attach it with the strap pin. But again, this raises a few problems, mainly grain orientation and glueing issues...
    I don't want those Benedetto cable thingys they sell on Stewmac either. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this, or any other ideas.

Thanks

ps I'll post pics if someone is interested. Zebrawood top!

2. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    So, if I understand this correctly, you're just talking about something that 'anchors' the strings? Are you using a tune-o-matic type bridge? There's plently of ways to 'anchor' the strings on a solidbody, but I believe you're kind of limited when it comes to an archtop hollowbody type guitar.
    The benefit of the 'benedetto' type tailpiece you refer to is that it is 'floating', and therefore you dont have to have a piece/block of wood under the carved top where the strings are 'anchored', just where the bridge sits. I'm curious why you don't like the cable?
    Also, If your top is truly a 'carved' top, it might be hard to glue and attach a piece of wood (at the rear) that has the same contour as the carved top, and if it's spruce, that wood is super duper soft.
    I think the Benedetto 'floating' tailpiece is functionally the best design for a hollowbody guitar. It probly has a lot to do with the 'archtop' sound.
    There might be some alternative ways to attach the tailpiece, but do you want it to be 'floating' or glued to the top or ..........
    I'm just thinking out loud now.....
    dont really have an answer, just some thoughts.
    You also might have more luck over on the 'archtop' section of the MIMF website as well.
    I'm interested in seeing some pictures of your body/guitar.
    also, I think this guy has a pretty cool way of anchoring strings in his guitars....check him out.
    www.mykaguitars.com

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Yo jsp,
    thanks for the mykaguitars site, that's exactly the type of tailpiece style on the Dragonfly deluxe model I was looking for. The thing is, I'm not sure how to attach the small piece that's going along the edge of the guitar to the part that goes on the top of the guitar. You can see this part a bit on the 10th picture on this page:
    http://www.mykaguitars.com/instruments/018/default.htm
    The guitar I<m building is not actually a true hollowbody, it's more like a chambered Les Paul with an f-hole. The body wood is walnut, the top is zebrawood, and the neck is bubinga with a madagascar rosewood fingerboard, with bloodwood binging.

The picture's kinda small, cuz for some reason, I haven't been able to transfer it to jpg format. I've got more pictures, so if you want to see more, you can pm me.

4. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    yur guitar looks very nice! I love the zebrano top and the fingerboard looks pretty killer. (not crazy about the headstock :)~ )Try e-mailing Mr. Myka to see if he has any ideas. I think he's a nice enough guy...maybe he could explain his tailpiece concept(s) to you.

5. Why not attach it to an endpin via a cable or nylon cord, like on a violin? (or double bass, for that matter)

6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    JSP,
    I contacted Myka, and he answered within the hour! He's gotta real cool design, he sent me pics and explained it to me.
    Thanks for the props eh! I'm glad most people think it's nice looking. I finally got some better pics, I was off for the weekend, and for some reason, the computer at my country house was messed up, and the only 2 programs working were Word and Solitaire :eyebrow:
    anyways, thanks again for the link

7. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Yeah, I'm digging up an old thread... but I wanna show off.
    It's finally done... sorta... one of the pickups seems to be dead, i'll have to mess around some more. So here's what my bro's guitar looks like:

[​IMG]

Hope you guys like it.
    Phil

8. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I really do like it. Can we see some more pics please?

9. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal