Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Arco bass solo in a pop song?

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by hensonbass, Jan 18, 2006.

1. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I've been working on this concept for a couple of years now where I play the double bass in rock groups. When you click on this link the song "Precious Thing" will start playing. The bass comes in after the first verse and the solo comes in the middle.

I was wondering if you fellow bass players find this type of treatment effective for the song or is it a novelty type of thing.

http://www.myspace.com/telegram

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Wow, that's some great playing! Are you familiar at all with Ashley MacIsaac? He's a singer/violinist (fiddler?) and this song reminded me a lot of his track "Lay Me Down," just because he has that kind of really intense, dark sounding voice and he works the bow in a similar fashion.

Great playing -- fits very well.

3. JayR

JayR

Nov 9, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Interesting Fact: Simon and Garfunkel's album Wednesday Morning 3 am is arranged entirely with acoustic guitar and double bass. Noticed that one day. Lot of arco bass on there. well not a LOT, but more than most. I also recorded arco double bass in a band I played in, Calibur, as background string parts in the arrangement. I could post some recordings of that if anyone cares.

4. :hyper: GREAT PLAYING!
    Super! Keep going!

5. Actually, I made a cd with a guy named Chris Larsen last year where I bowed a few songs. If I can find the CD I'll toss it up on the sampler. My pop lines are a little complicated I think and some feedback would be nice...

6. That is really neat! You really make the 'voice' of that instrument very clear and what a nice, lyrical solo!

Great job! Makes me wanna pick up a bow again!

--tz

7. fcleff

fcleff

Apr 22, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Really nice work. I like the triplet run near the end.

You should listen to a tune by Mary Chapin Carpenter called 'I am a Town". Edgar Meyer plays on that track and does some really good work during the verses; low range double stops, pedal tones, etc. It is a good example of how to 'solo' through the entire piece without covering the vocals. Of course, his 'real solo' really slams too. :bassist:

8. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Very nice. Keep it going!

I like the solo on Leo Kottke's "Back in Buffalo" tune... Edgar again... :rolleyes:

9. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Hey, Edgar Meyer doesn't get to have *all* the fun, though he probably gets paid more than most folks for his recorded parts! (As well as being more than capable of delivering the goods on a moments notice)

I just added a trio of arco parts to a version of "Long Black Veil" last week. The producer didn't ask for it, but I offered the idea, and everybody loved it. It's down below, in the hold now, but should be up on deck and in stores soon.

So, I'd say that more arco is a good thing, for *any* kind of music, Pop, whatever. It may be a good way to illuminate cross cultural experience through music!

Rap Musik, it's gold-plated plastic chains surrounded with the darkest microtonal drones of doom or the sweetest and brightest destiny? Tell me, I say... why not?

10. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  11. Kam

Kam

Feb 12, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    Very cool! I think the solo was a good compliment to the song, fit nicely.

12. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Finally have a sound card and was able to check it out. Very cool!

13. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Tx
    Not quite pop, but the Dutch punk band The Ex have a double bass player who studied classical bass. She seems to play arco a lot of the time.

14. runamuck

runamuck

May 28, 2006
    ojai, california
    Hi,

I'm not a bassist. I, for the most part, play ac. guitar and compose for an ensemble of guit., piano, ac bass, cello and clarinet - kind of pop- jazz stuff. I'm here because just yesterday I stumbled upon an upright bass at a yard sale and well.... So, this is my first post.

You're a terrific player and I was really impressed. And I thought your solo was fabulous. Really! But...

I personally could only take measured amounts of the low end doing solo stuff. Perhaps it's because it's unfamiliar. Perhaps it's because there seems to be more emotional content in kilohertz than hertz - I dont know. Arco pads are one thing and I love that style but soloing is something else.

There you are: one persons opinion.

Jim

15. Tritonis

Tritonis

Jul 20, 2006
    Connecticut
    That was great man.