1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Arco player right rotator cuff surgery

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bueller-anyone, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Bueller-anyone

Bueller-anyone

Dec 17, 2018
    Any arco players have experience with rotator cuff surgery in the right shoulder? I am wondering how the surgery will effect my ability to bow after recovery. I play classical.

Thank you

2. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I’m not a double bass player but I had the surgery about a year and a half ago. The most important thing to do is stick to the physical therapy. If you do everything the doc and therapist tell you to do than you should be fine.
    I tried to go back to everything too fast, didn’t stick with physical therapy, and my recovery took a lot longer.
    My shoulder is the best it’s been in years. Sometimes it gets stiff but I’m 54 years old and all my joints are that way. Good luck and take it slow.

salcott likes this.
  3. Bueller-anyone

Bueller-anyone

Dec 17, 2018
    Thank you, I am 44 and anticipate slow recovery. Most curious about bowing movements needed in my shoulder. Thank you

4. Axtman

Axtman Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    Should we start a rotator cuff surgery club? ;-)

I had surgery on Feb 2, 2018. I healed quickly. My surgeon told me that he never wants to see me again after my 6 month follow up visit. (I was healing faster than he expected.) Nine months later I was and still am working out at the gym lifting heavy weights.

Everybody's body and injury are different. As previously stated. Follow the physical therapists instructions.

My shoulder will "fall asleep" occasionally and sometimes I get minor pain but it's all good.

I highly recommend two things: a lazy boy recliner and a pair of slip on shoes. You will learn to do things with your other hand and one handed.

Good luck and speedy healing!

5. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    Good luck. Let me be a caution to you. Be glad you have the option of surgery. I put it off way too long and by the time imaging was done I was told the tears were inoperable and the muscles atrophied. But maybe that's an HMO deal?

Switching from French to German has helped with the pain playing. Seems less stress on the shoulder.

As far as switching hands, for bow making that may be in the future too. I'm starting to have shoulder pain using a hand plane now. Goodbye octagonal sticks, hello round.

Lazy boy sounds nice.