Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

arco strings for my plywood knilling

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Scott Cutrer, May 3, 2001.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I would like to put good strings for arco playing on my Knilling, I dont need to play pizz on it but would like a nice smooth arco tone that will project. I am in an Army Band and am the only Bass and I have to cut through 3 tubas and a full brass section. I need volume, but would like to have a nice tone when I am playing passages with the woodwinds ect. The Thomastic Spirocores that are on it are too harsh sounding during the softer parts. I know ther are alot of other posts on this subject, but I am kinda ignorant and am not catching much of the terminology and names you guys are throwing out. My college teacher allways gave me his old orch strings so I have never really had to buy my own and need some advice.
    scott

2. Tell the Supply NCOIC to order you a set of Pirastro Obligatos from either Lemur music or Quinn Violins. You won't regret it, trust me! Also, what kind of pickup are you using? That makes a difference in your Arco sound, as well. (If you are amplified)

3. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    thanks reedo, I will try em. I dont use a pup. I use my Azola for Jazz Band and no amp for Concert Band. Might get an Azola Acoustic Carved Bass for Concert Band though!

4. I have heard nothing but good things about Corelli's ...just ordered 370M G & D , (will start thread about results)....
    Also I am looking foward to investing in some Jargars....(drool) :bag: