arco strings for my plywood knilling

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Scott Cutrer, May 3, 2001.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I would like to put good strings for arco playing on my Knilling, I dont need to play pizz on it but would like a nice smooth arco tone that will project. I am in an Army Band and am the only Bass and I have to cut through 3 tubas and a full brass section. I need volume, but would like to have a nice tone when I am playing passages with the woodwinds ect. The Thomastic Spirocores that are on it are too harsh sounding during the softer parts. I know ther are alot of other posts on this subject, but I am kinda ignorant and am not catching much of the terminology and names you guys are throwing out. My college teacher allways gave me his old orch strings so I have never really had to buy my own and need some advice.
    scott

2. Tell the Supply NCOIC to order you a set of Pirastro Obligatos from either Lemur music or Quinn Violins. You won't regret it, trust me! Also, what kind of pickup are you using? That makes a difference in your Arco sound, as well. (If you are amplified)

3. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    thanks reedo, I will try em. I dont use a pup. I use my Azola for Jazz Band and no amp for Concert Band. Might get an Azola Acoustic Carved Bass for Concert Band though!

4. I have heard nothing but good things about Corelli's ...just ordered 370M G & D , (will start thread about results)....
    Also I am looking foward to investing in some Jargars....(drool) :bag: