Are 12's slower in attack then 10's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chadds, Aug 1, 2002.

1. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Any one notice this? Or am I comparing new with old speakers?
  2. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    I don't think that you can say this in general.
    Good 12" speakers can be faster than bad 10" inch speakers and vice versa.
    Same applies for low end of 12" vs. 15" speakers...

A good 212 can blow away a not so good 1x15 & 2x10 stack...

3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    that's true Matty,

but if you compare an Epifani 4x10 to its 2x12 sibling, i'd say the 4x10 would have a faster attack, especially for slap.

still, i love 12" for the balance in tone, and even for my crajee slap stuff, its plenty.

i actually like 12"s better because of a slightly slower attack. 10's are just too tight, and make my notes feel like they jump out too quickly. might be a knee reaction to my sloppy playing tho.. ;)

your mileage may vary...
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If good quality, newer, 10's and 12's are being compared, IMO;

- If you really perceive an audible difference with a bass, let the Air Force know you can outperfom their radar.

- If you still perceive an audible difference playing in a band, let California know when the next earthquake is coming. ;)
  5. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    listen to the man :eek:
  6. Theoretically, all things being equal, 12" speakers would be slower than 10" inch speakers by virtue of their higher cone mass. But things are rarely equal from manufacturer to manufacturer and there are other factors to be considered both internal and external in the design of speaker system which will affect how fast it responds, not the least of which is cab design and the damping factor of the amp.

...and if you think that sounded good, realize that I have no freaking clue what I'm talking about. :)
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    No, not bad really. :) I think the alignment of the cab has most to do with it. I don't think 12s weigh that much more than 10s really, everything else being equal. The differences in high-end response might have phychoacoustic effects too.
  8. chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Don't stop now and thanks for the info and humor!
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  10. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    All other things equal:
    - yes, the shock wave has to move more material in a bigger cone, which makes for a more muddy attack.
    - if you can distinguish between a 10" and a 12", your ear is as fast as the best laser equipment! A normal ear can probably realize a difference between an 8" and an 18" - barely.

OTOH, bigger cones usually have heavier magnets, which makes the attack as crisp, but slightly later (timed from the plucking) which will make the player feel that the attack is slow and muddy, while a normal listener will find it good.

So much for physics. Now over to brain: What do hear?
  11. My spread sheet has a column for the Bl:Mms ratio. The is the magnetic motor strength (Bl) and cone mass (Mms).

If you sort the spread sheet in descending order of this column, voila... lots of 10" and smaller drivers are at the top. All the JBL drivers are very high in the listing also.