1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are 2 space racks safe???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 3, 2002.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey all,

i've been using an SKB Roll-X 3 space rack, and honestly hate the bulkiness. i've been thinking of just using a 2 space but am afraid of the heat buildup from my Stewart World 600. is this safe??? would putting my pre below the hotter Stewart help things???

2. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    It depends if the unit is top or rear vented. It depends on how hot your pre is. It depends on how much you usually push the units too.

It pays to have a few extra spaces. If you want to save space for transportation, screw in the pre with winged screws just to transport it, then take it out and mount it on top of the case with some velcro tape when you're using it. How's that for an idea?

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I was seriously considering one of the SKB Roll-X 4 space racks for my DB750. Four space specifically to allow a space for air flow. I'm disappointed to hear you say that it is a pain. I'll have to really check it out when I go shopping.

As for your idea of just using a two space rack, I think it matters how long you use the amp in one sitting. I mean, a 45 minute set would probably be fine, but four 45 minute sets in an evening might make the power amp cranky.

I think Zulufunk's idea about the removable pre is a nice alternative, too.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey monkee,

i was gonna reply back to your post on the dudepit, but my friends love the DB750 in the new SKB Roll-X 3 spacer. those wheels make things really easy. its a little bulky for a simple 2 space jobbie like mine, but for more heavy duty stuff like the Aguilar, i'd try out the Roll-x for yas..

5. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That's cool. That makes sense. I've actually gone with a nice SKB 4 space rack (Gard mentioned something about naming his first born after me...:)). I decided that I will just suffer for a little while, and then pick up a foldable handtruck, and toss that in the back of my truck, too. 2 GS112s, 4 space rack, a couple of bugie cords and I'm not carrying anything. :D The hand truck I'm looking at can move 300 lbs without problem.

6. bassmonkeee said...

I was seriously considering one of the SKB Roll-X 4 space racks for my DB750. Four space specifically to allow a space for air flow. I'm disappointed to hear you say that it is a pain. I'll have to really check it out when I go shopping.

I have a 4 space Roll-X. They're a little wider than a standard rack but I don't think they're all that bulky. Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

And here's a pic of the whole rig. I don't think the rack is too huge.

[​IMG]

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well once you start getting into the 4 space jobs, then bulkiness isnt an issue anymore, just a necessary evil no matter the case. I think the Roll X is a great option still for someone with your heavy needs.

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I'm going to stick with the SKB that I ordered from Gard. If it is too unwieldy, I might pick up a Roll-X in the future, and delegate the regular SKB to effects. I figure I've been toting the 1x12 cabs at the same time, so I sould be able to get the rack and my double gig bag in a second trip. And, like I mentioned earlier, a handtruck is probably in my futre, as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. I love my hand truck. I bought it at a local builder's center for $34 - it has two casters at the top and a convertible handle so I can make a little cart out of it if I don't have to do stairs.

10. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    D'oh! Hand truck...thanks guys! Even in my youth, 2 410XLTs is a pain. Once again, I have failed to grasp the obvious solution myself, and have had it needed to be pointed out by others...

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Well, even in your youth, heavy is heavy... :)

Allan--Wow. $34 is a bargain. The one I was looking at was $99. I think I'll keep looking....

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    anything with wheels is a godsend for bassists... ;)

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    they are unsafe at any speed.

oh, wait, those are corvairs. sorry.

14. bassmonkeee said...

Allan--Wow. $34 is a bargain. The one I was looking at was $99. I think I'll keep looking....

Check Lowe's/Home Depot/Builder's Square/something like that. I got mine at a local Menards store - made in China, but $34. Cheaper ones have plastic wheels - you probably don't want that.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Kart-a-bag

Not cheap but mine handles 300 lbs. and I've had it 15 years and it still works like new. This similar to mine.

[​IMG][​IMG]

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    If you ever have to load in over grass or gravel, you'll want pneumatic tires. Personally, I bought The World's Greatest Handtruck (my title) at Home Depot. Think I gave about 40 or 50 frogskins. It has a lightweight plastic frame that flexes, pneumatic tires, stair rails and it handles 600 lbs. Does the trick no matter the circumstance. I did blow out one of the tires by foolishly over-inflating once, however. $10 for a replacement (and the included the wheel!).

17. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I get the rig of my dreams. I'm working on the basses of my dreams (almost there...).

So what do I have to look forward to? Frikkin' HANDTRUCK GAS. Life's not fair. ;)

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    LMAO, handtruck GAS! hehe... :D

seriously tho, handtrucks with big rubber wheels are a defacto standard. those cheapie plastic ones are murder on your tubes. oh and the folding ones are the bomb!