Are 4/4 basses louder than 3/4's?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by TenorClef, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Just curious on this one, i have a 3/4 hybrid which i think is fairly loud acoustically, with 4/4 being bigger does that mean they are also louder?
  2. Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    In general, yes.
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    I've only played one, and yes it was VERY loud, and it set off all the other basses in the shop ringing as well.
  4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003

Ideally, if it was built and set-up correctly.
  5. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    In my experience, no.
    I know it is supposed to be that way, but
    I have heard big basses that were really nasal and uneven, and small basses that sounded huge. Too many factors to call this one with any certainty, IMHO

The 3/4 versus 4/4 thing isn't well-defined either, but that's another thread. . .

6. This just is not true. You'd think so because of the bigger body cavity. If anything you could hope that bigger ones might be a bit darker, but that's not always true either.
    I've heard 1/2 sizers that would scare the hell outta you. Then, of course, some 4/4 s that sound like they have bridge mutes on them.
    If you just want loud, some of the newer basses are great because of the art of advanced luthurie.
  7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    PLEASE define what a 4/4 is. Almost every Bass I have seen called a 4/4 was actually a 7/8. I have a Huge Bass in repair now and I thought it was a full sized Bass but it's actually STILL a 7/8 to everyone I spoke with. Look here;

I think after we define once agian IF ever possible at all, the actual sizes from 1/2, 5/8, 3/4, 7/8, 4/4, and even 5/4 as I have seen some German Basses called we can THEN answer this Question. For now, I don't know if we are all talking about the same thing. I have a 3/4 English Gilkes now that is louder than the 7/8 Italian I used to have. Louder, but not better sounding. The Gilkes is more even but the Italian had a little more color.

I have a large 3/4 Martini (Italian) that is 'AS' loud but deeper and smoother than my 7/8 Shen (high end Chinese). Now this is listening in a concert hall from the back and comparing projection.

Basses do not necessarly sound the same on top of it as you are playing, 5 feet away or 100 feet away.

Your 3/4 modern Bass (hyrbid is a modern thing) is about 41-42" string length. I dont know so you tell us. The Bass gets deeper usually with a longer string length. 7/8 will add an inch in the modern world and full size is at least 44"-46" string length unless it has some other dimentions.

Older Basses have less and less rules of size as we go back counting the centuries. Also, many old Bass have been cut at the shoulders and neck blocks lowered making these older larger Basses a size or so smaller in string length. Some Bodies are longer from the F-notch to the bottom or from the F-notch to the neck block. This will also affect the Basses length but not always it's size.

I am sorry to make this so long but it's difficult to answer a question that has an un-defined variable. I recently bought a FULL Sized Case. It fits fine on my 3/4 Martini and Barely on my 7/8 Shen (now being used by my son). The 3/4 case they make only fits small sloaping shouldered commercial type Basses or Chinese but none with bigger dimentions. Cases used to be bigger but with so many new Basses on the Market the Sizes are NOW re-named to fit what is Current.

Louder with a Bow (or more presence) or Louder with Pizz. This can Vary. If you are going to use an AMP, the smaller Bass will be easier to EQ. My Martini and Gilkes almost kill a speaker when I play the E string as the Fundamental note is so pure without too much upper harmonics. The Bigger the Bass, the more Organ Like tone you may be approaching.

The most common size for Jazz is a modern 20th century German/Czech type Bass in a 3/4. The most common for Orchestra are the older Italian, English and other old Basses in Larger 3/4 or 7/8 depending on who's holding the tape measure.

So.. get the Bass to fit your needs. Size matters only to a degree. Volume, projection, depth of tone and color of tone are not related. Want all the best on on great Bass? Sell your house!!
  8. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    To me a 4/4 is easy to spot, if it makes a 3/4 next to it look like a cello, well then chances are it's a 4/4. The one that I have seen [built buy Hammond Ashley] is a monstrous cello shouldered beast that makes all the other basses there look small.

Ken is right, labels and some sellers can be misleading. I have seen basses that are the same size as my bass [SL 43", Tl 43", LBW 25.75", UBW 19"] called a 4/4 :scowl:
  9. Just checking back on my original question, thankyou for your interesting insights on this topic. It would appear their is no clear cut answer to my question and clearly their is no exact specs for what is regarded as standard sizes for basses.
  10. The clear cut answer to your question is:
  11. BTW, the bass Aaron is talking about (right?) is also five-string and makes all the other basses rumble when played. It can'ted be sold though because it is caving in on itself. Good for posterity though.
  12. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    Yeah, it really is a shame.
  13. bassgurl

Dec 2, 2004
    honelsty, i don't know if the size makes a difference in how loud it is. people say my bass is louder than the one that is at my school and it is a 7/8 and mine is a 3/4 i think it is how it is built and the quality and the skill of the player but i am just beginning but that is my two cents :D