Are 4X10's enough?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FleaisGod, Mar 5, 2001.

1. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    My Band has been together for only a month, but we're pretty damn good. Anyway, we have recently started to receive small-to medium size gigs. Mostly just battle of the bands and other small-medium gigs. Right now my set up is an Ampeg BA-115 combo amp. It just doesnt cut it over the drums and my guitarist 8X12 monster. Within a few months i'll be able to afford around a 200-300 watt head and a 400 watt 4X10 cab (specifically an Ampeg b2-r head and an Ampeg 410hlf cab or an SWR 2004 head and a SWR Workingman's 4x10's) Will either of these set ups be able to cut it for our gigs? Or should I wait till i can afford an 8x10 monster as well? Or maybe go with used or cheaper gear that's louder? Help me out please. Thanks in Advance!

2. The 410hlf and the b2r are great for gigging man. You should go to where your buying them from and see if they let you turn it up =)
  3. If you really have to compete against a loud guitarist, than you might want to either save up for the 8x10, or go with a 8-ohm 4x10 now and then add a 15 or a 4x10 later on. This way you wont have to trade in the HLF if you have to get something bigger down the road. I just say that you should always be more prepared than you have to and then you will be fine.
  4. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Used or new? As far as speakers go, I favor new over bigger and cheaper. They can take a pounding and with used you never know what went through them. Nothing like a nice, fresh, cabinet to have your way with!
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I play in pretty loud band and I get by great with an Eden 410 and a 500 watt Eden amp. We play primarily medium size clubs with a few large ones thrown in from time to time. This rig handles the large venues just fine. Of course, if you want to increase the "boom' level 30 feet in front of the stage an extra 115 will do it but I find that unnecessary.
    The 810 is a terrific cabinet but I sure wouldn't want to move it around.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Big enough? I'd give thought to two other factors: What can your back handle and what can your PA system handle.

Geddy Lee only has a single 4x10...
  7. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the input guys! I like the Idea of getting a 4x10 right now, then maybe later on getting a 15. But if i do that, could the ampeg b2-r, or swr 2004 handle it?Our PA has two 12 inch mains and 3 12 inch floor monitors.

- Rob/woody/fleaisgod

p.s. - now that i think of it, it will probably be a LONG time before i would need to add that 15...And, I forgot about how i would move that 8x10 around..oops.
  8. Yor future rig ought to be plenty loud.I used to own a similar set up.My former guitarists used a Triple rectifier and a Sunn half stack(the new Sunn by Fender).They had 4x12's each and I was easily heard.You'll do fine!!!
  9. At a gig last Thursday (St David's Day :) ) I had no problems cutting through a Marshall JMP/4x12 + Peavey 100w combo with my SWR/Eden 2x10.

With a decent PA the rig provides the tone, and onstage monitoring. As it sounds like you have a vocals-only PA Willie is right IMHO, you should be fine.

Why your guitarist needs a full stack (except to pose) escapes me!
  10. FleaisGod

FleaisGod Guest

Jun 18, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks again! I think I'll probably go w/ the b2-r head and get an 8-ohm 4x10 cab, just in case i need to add a 15. Of course, I'm going to try it out along with similar setups, but thats what im hoping for.

smootherggroover- LOL! My guitarist is hoping to upgrade his Peavey 1510 8X12's for a Mesa/Boogie Triple rectifer!
  11. Oooh I dunno Flea, in my experience it has ALWAYS taken more than three attempts to rectify a guitarist.... ;)
  12. Mr Bassman

Mr Bassman

Aug 28, 2000
    Always good to see someone who is proud of their band! Good use of subtle modesty!
  13. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    a 4x10 enclosure is plenty. i only use a carvin 4x10 cab for all my gigs. your cabs are mainly for you to hear yourself on the stage, like a reference moniter. the pa systym is what throws your sound to the masses. although 8x10's are nice i think they are a bit much. a 4x10 will do you just fine, and if you want to get a deeper sound just add a 15" to it.
  14. MtnGoat

May 7, 2000
    4 10" speakers should be more than enough when driving them with 500 watts. If you elevate your cabinet to aim at your face, you'll probably find yourself turning down quite often. By the way, get rid of the obnoxiously loud guitarist and others--that is a battle that nobody wins. Trying to compete for volume will make the whole band sound like a big pile of #*&$*$!

15. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think 4x10s will get the job done just fine. i don't like being without a 15 though, i don't know if that's just me or what, but i MUST have a 15. and it seems to cut thru a LOT better.

that said....i've got a 4ohm SWR Goliath Jr3 2x10 and a SWR Triad (a 15", a 10", and a horn). powered by a SWR bass 350 (at 2 ohm/450 watts) god sounds SCHWEEEEEEEEET. and it only cos a few hundred more than buying a 4x10 would have.