are 8x10's obsolete?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by reasonbass, Dec 22, 2004.

1. I was thinking about this the other day at work. Now with all these new smaller, more powerfull cabs. Who needs an 8x10 anyways. I've always wanted one but I know that I'll probably use it once maybe twice per year for gigs. I do fine with 2x10's all the time since most places have P.A.'s. But on the other hand theres the visual appeal of a wall of speakers about to pound you. And thats what makes me want to get one, even though I don't need one.
    What do you guys/gals think?
  2. I had a new svt810 for about 2 years. I loved the tone, loved the sheer force of pumping 1400watts into 8 10inchers.
    But.....It was way too heavy. Our practice spot is upstairs in a loft. I had back surgury a year ago and just the thought of dragging that thing around anymore made me hurt.

On the other hand, If I had a person or two to move it for me anywhere I wanted at any time, I would have nothing else.
  3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    As for the actual need of them, IMO yes they are obsolete. As for the visual appeal, no. I'm one that believes that the bass rig should be bigger than the rythem/lead guitarist rig especially if you play rock/punk.
  4. metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I dunno, but when you say 810, 8 times-out of ten you are talking about the Ampeg 810 and it seems like everyone is starting to move to different brands. Then again on your point, 12's are coming into popularity these days and ....hell I'm going to get a B212 sometime soon.
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    No, I don't think the 8x10 is obsolete by a long shot. I'm migrating away from an 8x10 setup (actually a pair of 4x10s, if that makes any difference to ya) but I won't be satisfied unless I can retain all of the wallop that that setup can deliver. :cool:
  6. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Uh oh, my guitarist is buying a second 4x12, better do something quick...

As far as looks, I don't think bigger neccesarily looks better, small amps look dinky, big amps look goofy...
  7. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Do what KISS used to do and put empty cabinets on the stage.
  8. I don't see the point of an rig is a 1x15, and will soon have a 4x8 added to it. I reckon it'll be perfect for almost any gig, and perfectly loud enough.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's not obsolete because there are some playing situations where it helps to have a lot of air moving, playing outdoors for example. On large festival stages I love using the refrigerator. In a tiny club I wouldn't bother with one (unless it was provided backline).

I try to match the amount of speaker cone area to the gig. The louder I need to be or the larger the stage is, the more speakers (and perhaps wattage) I need to use. It's really that simple.

Another aspect of the Ampeg 810 in particular that is far from obsolete is how it deliberately rolls off the lowest octave to give more even response across the entire range of the bass. This is real useful IMHO as volume levels go up. Having truly "flat" low end response is not always a good thing.
  10. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I use two 4x10's for larger stages, nearly the same as an 8x10, and more versatile because I can take just one of them into smaller venues, and stairs aren't a problem. I personally just can't see why someone would box themselves into a corner these days with an 8x10, unless they were simply nuts for the specific 8x10 tone . . . . REALLY nuts for it . . .
  11. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    I use an 8X10 on every gig except for maybe once every 2 months when we are in a place that wants us to play pretty quiet. Our stage volume typically is prob too high, but we do seem to play better and enjoy it more when our pants are flappin. I haul it myself as well as the PA...and I'm an old guy. I've done the smaller cab thing, and I'm never satisfied with it, even tho I have quality cabs. I have a couple of 8X10s, but the one that gets gigged is an early 90's one with casters. It is actually much much easier to move around than my Eden 210-XLT's. And when loading in the van I just line it up sideways with the bumper, tip it over and push it in from the bottom. Voila. So for me, the 8X10 is not only not obsolete, it is alive and well, and works out every weekend.
  12. ddayseb

Mar 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I don't play an 8x10, but I don't think they're obsolete by a long shot, and I'll be very surprised if they ever are, personally. They may not be necessary for playing out around town, but I do think they're great for the road because a lot of the hole in the wall clubs that young rocks bands like mine get booked in on the road hardly have PA support at all, and certainly nothing that would have helped me be musically audible. It's not that much of an issue to carry them with the casters, and they're no worse on stairs than anything else, and if you have wheels that let you lay it flat, you can stack other stuff on it for loading in and out. If you don't have any money for a newer, more powerful Kern/Stewart/Bergie rig or something, I think the 8x10 and the 2x15 are the only truly road-worthy options for a rock and roll band. Acoustic 360 + beat up Ampeg 8x10 equals six hundred bucks of instant rock and roll.
  13. Not quite the same size (or weight), but I'm nutty about 2x15 cabs...
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Overkill for some situations? Certainly. Obsolete? Heck no.

210 over 115 is plenty for most of my gigs, but for big stages and outdoors it's nice to have more height and more speaker area.

Also, the traditional sealed/tweeterless 8x10 box has a noticeably different sound than modern cabinets which are usually ported and have tweeters. To put it another way: the difference between the vintage 8x10 fridge and the Ampeg 610HLF is much more than just two speakers.
  15. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    We made up a bunch of FOLDING cabinets for one I won't tell who. But they wanted a big-looking setup.:D
  16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    nope, not obsolete. Am i gonna go buy one? Nope. IMO, the ampeg 810 does have a charactaristic sound due to the low end rolloff and being sealed. I belive some of ampeg's 4x10 cabs dupe that sound pretty well. For really big stages, eight or sixteen tens can be cool, no matter if it's 2x10, 4x10, or 8x10 cabs. I just prefer to go modular. The only time i can see an 8x10 necessary in a small to medium sized club is if the head you are using is lower wattage, so you need the extra air moved. I did some gigs with a 150 watt head, and using six tens definitely helped. As far as looks go, of course they look cool. Personally, the coolest looking setups are the old late 80's early 90's ones using 2 or 4 or more SWR goliath 1 or goliath 2 cabs. I dunno why, that look has always stuck with me. probably cause it was so novel back then.
  17. 8 x 10 getting obsolete, hell no, but if Ampeg dont move into the new world of what bass players want then Ampeg themselves like so many times before may risk becoming obsolete.

They seem very much slow moving and stuck in their roots as a bass amp manufacturer where new brands like Ashdown are hungry for their business and are pinching their business on a regular basis.

Why do they have to be so darn pricey as the quality isnt anything to rave about, ok its good but its not the best yet they charge a fortune out of the USA and only give 1 years warranty which sucks.

Its a brand name thing again, Guitarists use Mesa stacks or Marshall and bassists use Ampeg ( in the rock world that is )
    I mentioned the 1210 Schroeder cab on the Ampeg forum and they laughed it off as a joke, well after having a 1210 for a while its new companies like Jorg who will have the last laugh and in a few years we will say "do you remember Ampeg gear "
  18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    To me an 8x10 is obsolete. Three herniated discs dictate that to me.

I love the sound, but for practicality there's plenty of lighter amps to choose from that have big tone. Even if it's an outdoor gig, or larger stage the bass is still going to pump through a PA. I'd rather have the sound man haul his subs and bass bins than me. There's no rule that Bass can't be in the stage monitors. Even though I have run into soundmen who were perplexed by the concept, it still works. Mostly my rig is a monitor for me. As far as looks are concerned, an 8x10 looks menacing and looks like it has more bass, but the person in the audience 50 ft back is still more likely to hear you from the PA subs than from your cab. But, they'll think it's coming from your cab.

But tone is a personal preference, so if an 8x10 is someone's sound then all the power to them. There's plenty of us with all kinds of eccentric "secrets" to our tone. Some choose to wear velvet gloves while playing, while some carry around an 8x10 to every gig. It's all good, but not for everyone.
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ha! People have been saying that about Fender for decades and Fender's doing just fine (wrt to their instruments, anyway). Ampeg's doing fine, too.

Companies that have long histories such as Fender and Ampeg have to deal with criticism from both sides: if they stick with their bread and butter, they're accused of not keeping up with the times. If they attempt to modernize, they're accused of "selling out", i.e. cashing in on modern gimmicks and fads. Usually these companies offer traditional and modern designs, and that's a good thing for us players: the more choices the better.
  20. I don't know if I'd go so far as "obsolete" but the Ampeg SVT & 8 X 10" combination was designed back in the days when even state-of-the-art PA systems were not very good, meaning that going direct wasn't an option. Times have changed in that respect because, in most cases, that kind of stage volume just isn't necessary any more. But it sure does feel good every now and then.