1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are actors artists?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crispygoat, Mar 16, 2008.

1. crispygoat

crispygoat Guest

Aug 22, 2006
    London, Ontario
    Do you consider them artists ?

2. Yes. There are a lot of choices to be made when acting. Instead of a paint and a brush we use our body and voices. The final result is something that will entertain or provoke an audience.

3. The good ones are.

- Dave

4. CrazyArcher

CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    Israel
    Yep, just as good painters are.

5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale

Oct 30, 2006
    Ventura County
    Basically if it's hard as **** to find work.
    You're an artist.

6. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    Actors are only artists if they're starving. If they're well fed, then they're sellouts.

:D

7. Unfortunatly that would make nearly anyone trying to get a graduate job an artist :p

Id say they are artists, its not like you need brains to be an actor, so, yup, it fits!

8. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    +1. Exactly. :)

9. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Acting is an art. Two minutes watching a bad one will tell you that.

10. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    +2

11. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    yes

12. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Absolutely

13. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    yes

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Actors, painters, sculptors, musicians are all artists. Some are good and some are bad, but they are artists nonetheless.

15. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    after acting quite a bit in high school and seeing loads of live theatre (albeit university level) I've never really been sufficiently moved or challenged by any performance that I've seen... good actors are extremely rare in my eyes... aside from those diamonds in the rough, I sort of consider actors the Sid Viciouses of the art world...

Not claiming to be something wonderful and great here myself, just adding my two cents... let's make that abundantly clear.

16. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

Dec 12, 2007
    Chicago
    i see where you're coming from, and actually think that myself. but to me, that just means that i have even higher respect for actors as artists, because it can be so all-encompassing that it is very difficult to master.

17. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Absolutely!!

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Of course actors are artists! The actor does not write the lines, but he or she must deliver them so that we truly believe them. So that we are caught in each moment of the story, and it becomes real for us, for a time. That's artistry. You can have a great writer and a great director, but without the art of the actors, the others' work is for nothing. They cannot convey their ideas without the actor's ability to portray them so that they live in our hearts and minds.

I've done theatre. Its more than just memorizing lines and delivering them, and making your blocking marks. Part of yourself must go into the part...you must suspend your "self" in the "self" of the character. Its art. I know it for certain.

Cherie

19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    +1

Also, I greatly admire Scarlett Johanson's ability to act like a hot chick with big chachabingos.

20. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    +29