1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are all blonde basses laminate?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by AlBass, Dec 1, 2019.

1. AlBass

AlBass

Aug 19, 2018
    UK
    Probably a dumb newbie question, but if a bass is "blonde," does that always mean it's a laminate bass?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    No.

3. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    No, I had a very nice fully carved German bass that was really, really blonde (ultimately, the one thing I didn't enjoy about it).

AlBass likes this.
  4. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    My Hora bass is light wood color and fully carved. A blonde fully carved bass has often the better wood since all wood defects are easily seen. With a very dark bass the same defects would be almost invisible.

AlBass likes this.
  5. AlBass

AlBass

Aug 19, 2018
    UK
    Great, thats really helpful. Thank you for taking the time to reply guys

6. I agree, I held out for a blonde Chadwick hybrid, I think it may be why I seem to be happier with mine than others are, it is quite nice instrument:

7. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    What do you call "blonde"? Is this bass "blonde"? :)
    Bild_11.JPG
    Without fail it is fully carved ;)
    Apart from that I know some really really good and impressive carved "blondes"...and I agree totally to the postings above :)