1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are all Eden WT 800 a B series

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassist30, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I was wondering if all the newer WT 800 are a B series. Mine was destroyed and replaced it with an iAMP 800. Not that its a bad amp just not my cup of tea. Mine was an old wt 800. 1995. Are the newer ones as good as the old. Has anyone compared the older with the newer WT's? I would like to sell the iAmp and get another Eden WT 800. But Im not sure if the newer one's are as good.

2. modulusman

modulusman Inactive

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    I think the B series are fine. You can run them in bridged mono with a 4 ohm load unlike the old 800s which would only run an 8 ohm load. Eden now has an 800c that has a backlit logo, a mute button and pre/post switch for the DI

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I recently tried an 800B and it sounded every bit as good as my old Wt800. Great head.

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Short story here. I ordered a WT-550 from Gard at BC to replace my WT-300 just before Eden disappeared from the face of the earth. I panicked and, worried that Eden may never resurface, ordered a WT800(notB) to get more power. OK, Eden was resuscitated by U.S. Music, and the WT-550s came out, but I had the WT-800 already, so I didn't get the 550.

A year or two later, Eden came out with the WT-800B, which I coveted, but didn't want to just buy one. Eden finally decided that they would do a retrofit on the older WT-800s to bring them up to spec for a mere $500. So I sent my old 800 in. They told me that it'd be a two-week turnaround. So after 4 weeks I called to check on the status, and they said they hadn't even started on it, and it'd be at least a couple more weeks before they could get to it, because the guy who did the retrofits quit.

Then I come to find out that the retrofit did not include replacing the binding posts with Speakon connectors, so that ripped it. I asked them to please send it back, and they did (their nickel).

So I put an ad in our local free paper offering it for $900 (I think I also had it up here for $800), and some guy called and said he wanted it. So I took it over to his house, and we tested it out on his rig, and he pulls out a roll of hundreds, peels off nine, and hands 'em to me. No negotiation, no nothing. He's a happy camper, and so am I.

So then I call up Bass NW and order a new WT-800B, with more power and Speakons, for a mere $1,300. So my upgrade only cost me $400, and I got a brand new amp.

OK, now to answer your question. As far as I can tell, the tone is identical between the two heads, but the WT-800B has noticeably more headroom. One of the reasons the WT-800B exists is that many, many people complained that the old model could not be bridged into 4 ohms. The WT-800B resolves this, now yielding 880 watts bridged into 8 ohms and 1,100 watts into 4 ohms. Also 440 watts per channel in stereo/bi-amp. I see no difference in construction quality.

Overall, the WT-800B is a far superior amp, and this is one case where I'd scrimp for the B model rather than buy a less expensive used older model.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... I wonder how much the upgrade from the B model is ....

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021