1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are all Ibby SR505s light?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jamesemt, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    I'm looking at getting one of these, but nobody stocks them within my area. I'm especially looking for a light bass and have heard loads of good reports. Can anyone tell me the weight of theirs so I can gauge an average weight? I know of one at 7.3lb

Thanks in advance,

James

2. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I have owned two SR505s and both were fairly light. However, the Indonesian made one was noticeably lighter than the older Korean made one.

3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Ibanez Soundgear basses are some of the lightest basses there are. If you want a light bass, they are one to look at.

4. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    According to my digital bathroom scale, my SR505 is 7.5 pounds.

5. Jamesemt

Jamesemt

Jan 6, 2006
    Hull, UK
    Thanks peeps - think I've found a 6lb 13 505!!

6. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I owned an ibanez sr305 and it was stupid light. I also own a 6 string version of the bass you mentioned and its still very light...lighter than my J bass if that means anything. The 505's ive tried have also been pretty light so...yeah.

7. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've owned a bunch of Ibby sr Series 5ers - including a couple of 505s - and they were all pretty light... In fact, the heaviest of the bunch was a sr905, which is neck-thru, and I still have that one... I also owned a BTB575FM, and it was a bit on the heavy side...

- georgestrings

8. I’ve just ordered a 2012 SR505. It has that spalted looking burst finish. Pretty excited to try it out.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  9. You just replied to a 2012 thread too.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018