Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are all lead guitar players moody?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mr.Phil, May 4, 2005.

1. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    So today I sat down with the lead guitar player to work out a set list for a battle of the bands. Each band gets about 25 minutes including set up and take down, so I figured it had to count. Anyway, I was letting him pick songs and then he picked a song thats eight minutes long, the first five of which is an acoustic guitar solo. He said the rest of us could sit there and retune. I of course so no freaking way. No drummer no bass no rythm guitar, he think hes Eric Clapton. He quit... The battle is 9 days away. I was wondering if anybody else had a similar experience.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Short answer. Yes. I believe guitarists usually have issues regarding the ego, the penis, or both.

3. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

there's the mistake , right there ...

good luck in finding a replacement in the meantime .

4. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Just do the whole set as a trio, who needs guitars are overrated anyway.

5. Different wording, but exactly what I was about to post.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What a tool. Send him a really sappy card wishing him luck with his solo career.

7. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'll take a musician who happens to play lead guitar over a hack who happens to like 6-strings anyday *L*

The only really annoying lead player I've met was a guy who was also the lead singer of a band that a friend of mine played rhythm guitar in. This guy was a peice of work!! He had the most equipment (even more than the bassist) and after a couple gigs I helped with, this guy wouldn't lift a finger to clean-up, beyond unplugging his "baby" and lovingly placing her in the hardcase... Nevermind that the rest of his band, several of us who were running security for the gig, as well as a few people just hanging out were cleaning up the rest of HIS gear, as well as their own.. the house sound gear, and the stage extensions. And while the bands got paid, the rest of us didn't 'cause it was a fund raiser for our church's youth department..

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I disagree. Assh*** musicians are assh*** musicians, regardless of what instrument they play. I've met many bass players who were jerks.

I find that you cant' generalize someone's personality just by the instrument they play.

9. The guitarist (in the band I WAS in) and I quit last night about 3 min before a gig but we still played for them. I can't stand people with egos, that's why we quit. I think the compliments directed towards the band got to the drummer and singer's head thinking they could run the band and push us around, not let us have any opinions whatsoever.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    That was funny.

11. spidersbass

spidersbass

Nov 29, 2004
    Downtown L.A.
    its happened to everyone i believe. my guitarist sucked ass, completely, but he was still big headed ego freak. what was sad is that the drummer, singer, and I would get all the compliments, the guitarist none... but in his eyes, he was the star. then he tried to kick each member out of the band one by one to find musicians that weren't better than him, hahaha, never happened. and all his guitar riffs and solos sounded exactly the same, hahahah. and he tried so hard to look like Daron Malakian on stage, sad really. i just stood there and looked purty, hahah. jk.

12. Meh, the one tune we do that doesn't have any rhythm section for the first 4 minutes or so is great, gives me a chance to get off stage and go get a beer.

While I don't think you can pinpoint personalities of people by what instrument they play, you can definitely generalize :smug:

13. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Um, my friend who plays lead rarely has mood swings...but being a girl, theres some leway :p

14. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    I love the card idea... Anyway, I guess we won't be winning as the rythm player is not much of a lead guy, but it has been fun to read some other people's experiences. Thanks!