Are all older brothers such jerks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Ok.
    So as you all know from that thread I posted a couple days ago that has since disappeared to the next page, I'm currently in Vail, CO. What follows is a...pretty long rant.

Anyway, I brought my little Olympus digital camera that my parents gave me for my birthday last year along so I could take pictures and convince my friends to come here with me next spring.
    My mom brought her Sony digital camera with her, as well as a spare 128MB memory stick.
    Since my desktop in LA is a Sony, it has a memory stick slot, so I asked my mom if I could use the spare memory stick on her camera to take some pictures and videos and then transfer them directly to my PC when I get back to LA tomorrow, and then give the memory stick to my dad to bring back to Hong Kong for her. Mother says "yes," and I begin snapping away happily on the mountain because the weather is beautiful.

So last night, my brother decided he would update his webpage with all the pictures that I had taken. No problem with that, they're really more like family photos anyway.
    Then I find later today that the memory stick has been wiped of everything except the ones my brother had not uploaded to his webpage, as well as the few that I had taken earlier today when I was on the slopes.
    Needless to say, I'm pretty ticked off at my bro for deleting the pictures that I had taken without my permission, let alone my mother's since it's her camera.

Now I would gladly write it off as "oh, he didn't know, so it's ok," if I knew that was the case, but it's not. I know that he had heard me talking to my mother about my plan.
    Because I asked my mother if I could use her camera on Monday before we all went up, and my brother was around.
    Ok, so maybe he didn't hear me because he was busy lacing up his boots or zipping up his jacket or whatever. Fine.
    But then just a few minutes later when we're on the chairlift, I notice that the memory stick is actually full of photos my mother had taken a few months ago at family gatherings in Hong Kong. I ask her if it's ok to delete them all, and my brother and I take turns figuring out how to delete them all at the same time, instead of doing it individually, 192 times.
    I finally figure it out, and again thank my mother for letting me use her spare memory stick so I can upload it straight to my computer, and then I tell her again that I'll give the memory stick to my dad when I'm done.
    Now I know my brother heard me that time, because he was sitting right next to me and was paying attention to the little family conversation.

Fast forward to this evening in the rental car on our way to a family friend's house for dinner, and my mom wants to see the pictures my dad and I had taken earlier in the day, since we were the only two in the family that went skiing today. She then asks, "what happened to all the other pictures and videos?"
    My brother says, "Oh, I deleted them."
    My mother and I proceed to remind my brother about the conversations we'd had in his presence about my plan to take said memory stick with me to LA.
    He claims that it never happened.
    Then, I tell my mom that she'll just have to email all the old pictures to me since they were uploaded onto her computer and not mine, mostly because I don't have the camera software on my laptop, and I mention in passing that, "It would've been much easier if all the pictures were still on the memory stick, though, because then I could just upload them all straight onto my computer and it would be much faster."
    To that remark, my brother replies with a very quick and sharp, "Will you shut up, Adley?!"

Now really...who can say that I was in the wrong here?
    More than one family member clearly remembers us discussing my plan while my brother is present and conscious of the conversation. Before his harsh comment, I wasn't angy at him, only slightly annoyed because I would have to download all of the crummy resized pictures off of his website, or have my mother email all of the ridiculously large (5.0 megapixels) files to me individually because of bandwidth problems back home in Hong Kong. That was at least 25 photographs and 5 video clips.

So yes, I'm just venting, but I would also like to know:
    To all of you TBers with older siblings, particularly older brothers, do you get this kind of crap treatment from them simply because they're older than you?
    Or even to those TBers who are the older sibling, do you ever treat your younger siblings in such a way simply because you're older, despite evidence clearly being against you?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    From my personal experience as an older brother, yes.
  4. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    Yep, we're cruel, but it's just getting you back for always being blamed for stupid stuff that you younger siblings do.
  5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    This is kinda funny, maybe he just forgot.....

I wouldn't worry about it at least you can still get all the pictures.
  6. As the oldest of four siblings I have no recollection of doing something remotly like that... I usually take care of my siblings when we are away and I also relive my mother sometimes when they don't do as they are told. Although I do this alot less since I moved away to study.
  7. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    my older brothers don't even talk to me :(
  8. Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    I play a lot of practical jokes on my younger brother, but I never do anything spiteful like that. Maybe he was just having a bad day.
  9. I'm a real bastard to my sibs. It's kinda hard not to be. Or maybe I have no patience. Makes 'em tough, says I. :D
  10. Yeah, older brothers are all jerks - it's their job!
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have a sister that is nearly four years younger than me. I can honestly say that I have never done anything like this to her in my life.

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  13. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm sorry Ewe, I didn't read your post, but um, what are you doing in Colorado. Since you've been here, you've been in Hong Kong, LA, SF and now Colorado. Dude, settle down.
  14. My brother used to be a bit mean to me, but as we've grown older he's calmed down now and stopped being such a fool.

Photo Guy: Say "Geddy Lee".
    Joe Young: Who's Geddy Lee?
    Photo Guy: Geddy Lee. Best bass player ever. Cmon.

Nice sig Tyler, I like it! For note, the photo guy's name is Dave, and what an amazing film that quote is from! :D
  15. :) Thanks...I have the movie but never payed attention to that dude really ^^ Should I stick with Joe Young or go to his movie name Tom Hung? :smug:

16. Good answer.

Very GWAR-esque
  17. Up until the day my brother moved out, We fought and didn't have that great of a relationship. Since he has moved out though, we get along really well and sometimes I play with his band. But yea, all older brothers are Jerks :p .
  18. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Sometimes I really don't think my older brothers and my sister know how much they screwed me up. Besides the almost 15 years difference betwen my oldest brother and about 12 year between my sister and how they only care about themself and their damn lives......

I'm sorry
  19. man, bro u got way too much time on ur hand for writing all of that!!!!

but ya, i got an older brother, he's a computer geek, plays text-based games and crap, and ya he's a jerk