1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are All Singers From Mars? (kinda long)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jgroh, Sep 18, 2008.

1. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Disclaimer: I know alot of you play bass AND sing, so that automatically disqualifies my statement because the bass playing part of the brain cancels out the cookey Mars part! :D

So I joined a cover band a couple of months ago. Classic rock. It was a drummer and two guitarists and me, and we had started looking for a decent singer. Only seemed to get interest from female singers, but thats cool. First singer comes in and is awesome (and not hard on the eyes), but, is in another band where she only sings a couple of songs but is going to stay with them. They are successful and booked a year in advance, so we have another person audition.

This person isnt as good as the first, but she is IMO just "good enough" skill wise and the others decided they want to go with her. She blew us off when we had set up her initial audition (red flag #1), but then came the following week. Then after the first night, the others asked her if she was interested in joining, then she finally emailed them back something like, Ive decided to go against my better judgment or something along those lines, and join us!

So then we are deciding songs last week and she is just a total weirdo the whole night, especially after two glasses of wine. And when I questioned one song that is both detuned to B (I dont have a 5er) and has keys throughout it, she sent me a "dont mean to be contrary, but here is what we are going to do..." email.

IMO she is not talented enough to put up with any of this BS. I am already thinking about quitting and its only been a couple of weeks with her! Why the hell are most singers screwey?

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    i think the constant high-frequency vocal cord vibrations discombobulates their prefrontal cortex, leading to irrational behavior and emotional instability.

3. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    *trying as hard as i can not to make a sexist comment*

best to keep my mouth shut :bag:

4. Hahah. +1

5. Singers are from mars, men are from Venus.

6. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I actually have experienced similar behavior from singers of both genders (and those in-between genders, too :eek: ). However, the dynamics of all-male bands are generally more familiar to us and therefore SEEM to be more in-control.

7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Although I probably know what you are thinking lol, I must say that in all the bands I have ever been in, the singer has always been some kind of nutball, male or female

8. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    Singers & drummers are always bitter.....

Because they'll never be musicians.
    ;)

9. I've never met a singer who WASN'T a PITA. I think if I met a singer that was easy to work with, I'd consider that a red flag. :eek:

10. jimc

jimc

Sep 17, 2002
    New Carsmell, CA
    Nope. Singers are from Uranus. :bag:

11. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    ugh, it seems that if they don't play an instrument, they're premadonna toolbags. Not all the time, but I've had an unpleasant experience with a female vocalist recently.

We picked up a vocalist who sorta knew our rhythm guitarist whom we parted ways with. She came to a few auditions, sounded good, then 2 weeks (not even) before the gig she quit citing "life changing experience." This totally screwed us for the gig so we spent 2 weeks scrambling to cut songs, rearranging and adding easy tunes.

Months come and go, we find out she found out she was pregnant, which is cool, no big deal, but we also find out she joined another "band" with the rhythm guitarist. The catch is he's a doctor, she's a pharmaceutical rep... so there's some business posturing there. Irritating a bit, but whatever, I don't care.

We agree to do a gig that we played last year, and the rhythm/singer's band is opening for us, so in the guise of good fun, we invite them to sit in with us. I'm in enough bands where I can forgive his faults on his instrument and can ignore the singer's BS.

At the rehearsal the other day she says in response to her energy level while pregnant: "I'm surprised how much energy I actually have, sometimes I'm tired, but this gig is on a Saturday and that's when I'm the most energetic!"

I had to look away, the gig she bailed on was on a Saturday. :spit: Don't BS me, the only reason you're doing this gig is to keep good relations with the doctor, don't kiss our asses with bullcrap lines especially considering you told us you "didn't have the time or energy to devote to a band."

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    female singers and 2 glasses of wine dont mix!

get with the band, tell them you can't work with this screwy chick, and find someone else. Singers are a dime a dozen, everyone wants to be the sexy lead singer.

A little off topic but here's a little story:
    So I'm putting a new band together. I find a drummer with some rehearsal space (though he clearly wsnt a fit I soon found out) but just kind of used it as a chance to audition a guitarist. The guitarist tells me the week before that his wrist has been hurting, but he wants to do it anyway. So we jam, and because of the awful drumming I couldnt guage the guitarists skills. So I find a better drummer, a friend who is now a part of the band, and set up audition #2. The guy didnt even bother to bring his guitar, he just wants to sing, and already has all these ideas and ****... it was nuts, that dude was definitely from mars.

13. Only when I eat too many beans.

14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    We have practice tonight, and so far (although its only been 2) she seems to always be running late, so I may tell the other dudes that I am not loving the choice (I mean, c'mon! Sends an email saying against her better judgment she decided to join???) I want to get things going and get some gigs too but thats nuts.

I mean it turned me from looking forward to Thursday night practices to not even wanting to go, and life is too short for that BS because of a nutty singer!

15. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Hell yeah man! It sounds like along with her screwiness she's also a flake (and possibly an alky too). She's got an ego problem apparently. Against her better judgement? That would not fly with me, I'd of never called her back. Already to late to every rehearsal? She must think she's a star or something. Definitely get with your bandmates, when the screwy chick isnt around, and lay the issue out in front of them. If it's only been two rehearsals its not too late to give her the boot, find someone with a more professional attitude, theres someone out there.

16. DudeistMonk

DudeistMonk

Apr 13, 2008
    Newark, NJ
    What kinda bull crap is that "Against my better judgment..." crap?

I mean come on you just got accepted into a band and the first thing you do is tell them your not really into it? That you think joining was a bad idea? but your going to do it anyway? ...Crazy enough to be one of my ex-girlfriends.

17. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Never had such problems with singers, guess I'm lucky.

However, most of the bands I've been in were lead by the vocalist who also played an instrument (usually guitar), wrote most of the songs, and booked most of the gigs. I've never been in a band where the singer was 'brought in' after the other players formed, it was always the singer originating the band and calling most of the shots.

I think in most generes, from an audience standpoint, the singer more or less is the band, and you will be judged on the frontman/woman's merits. Don't compromise on the vocalist!

18. ForSix

ForSix

Jul 22, 2008
    I've been playing for female singers since 1975. Still playing.

Never had any problems, but then, they all read music.

19. What's the first thing a chick singer does when she wakes up in the morning?

Puts on her clothes and goes home.

20. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Update:

We had practice last night, and practices are held at the drummers house. So I made sure to get there early to talk to him. I just said everything I said here and he just looked at me and said, "would you feel better if we got rid of her?" And he said that they dont want to lose me over her because Im more important to them than she is (yeah I know that sounds like the ending of an episode of Facts of Life but, it didnt sound as corny when he said it ;))

Then one of the guitar players showed up and the drummer says, hey, we are not that happy with the singer...only thing he said was, Oh, ok well lets get rid of her. lol The drummer said they will take care of things when I am out (my wife is giving birth next week so I will be out of the loop for at least 2-3 weeks, and the other guitarist is on vacation somewhere)

Of course then, she shows up, 30 minutes after practice is supposed to begin and I made sure to listen carefully to her singing and it really was not very good. So, by the time I get back to practice in 2-3 weeks, she should be history! :bassist: