Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are All XLR's equal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hollow Man, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I just got my QSC PLX in the mail ( :bassist: ), but I need a balanced XLR to run my preamp into it. I ran by GC this evening, but the only cables I saw with XLR connectors were all labled 'Mic Cables', were random, no-name brands (not that they're necessarily bad because of that), and the shortest was 15 feet long. What XLR do you many QSC users use, and is there a particular brand or spec that I should be looking for when I select mine? Would these so-called mic cables work?

2. If it's XLR female to XLR male it will work, and it is a regular old mic cable. You can spend a little, CBI, or alot, Monster, these are examples, there are many manufacturers of cables. You should be able to locate a short cable, 1 foot to 3 foot, if not try mail order. I hope this helps.

3. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Yup. That's all they are.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Fantastic. Thanks guys!

5. A friend has a Carvin monitor box that uses the 3-pin Canon type connector... for power. Go figure. This does not appear to be a powered box.

I've heard tell of this for speaker connectors, but have never seen it before. XLR mic cables will definitely not work for speaker connections...

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Oh man, I'm feeling older than usual today. I've seen plenty of old speaker cabs using 3 pin (or the 4 pin variant) Cannons for power. Bear in mind that 150 watts as a lot of power back then though. :cool:

XLR mic cables will definitely not work for speaker connections...

I remember using Belden 8412 cable to run an underwater stepper motor 60 feet down on +/- 250 volt square wave pulses. Can you say out of spec?