Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are any active EMG's direct replacements for Selects?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Schizoid75, May 16, 2005.

1. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I just ordered a Steinberger Spirit XZ-25 from Musicyo. If I like it, the first thing I want to do is switch over to active EMG's. Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the Selects that come in the 5-string Spirits? Any ideas if any of the active EMG line are direct replacements? If not, I'll be attacking the bass with crude woodworking implements and my pitiful mechanical skills!

Thanks,
    Sean
    www.stampedeband.net

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  3. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Well, I thought that might be the case, but I'm getting a 5-string, so I doubted the HB would cover it. I know the Steinberger/Spirit 5's have small spacing, so maybe they still use the HB in their 5-strings. It should be here on 5/18/05 and I'll confirm. If not, I'll be posting again for knowledge on routing for pickups!

4. I own both an XZ-2 and an XZ-25.

The pickups have the same dimensions. They are the same size as guitar humbuckers.

I replaced the Selects in the XZ-2 with the EMG HBCS, a limited production model that is voiced the same as the original EMG HB that was used in the graphite Steinbergers after the original EMG SSs were phased out. The HBCS has ceramic magnets, with a steel bar instead of individual polepieces. They are is fairly expensive, too. I recall paying about $110 each for them from Peekamoose (www.peekamoose.com). The HBCS is a special order EMG and will not be found in inventory anywhere. It took about eight weeks to get mine.

The reason I used the HBCS was it was recommended by Andy Yakubik, of Steinbergerworld (www.steinbergerworld.com) as a top choice for the Spirit upgrade. They really are fine sounding pickups, if you want to put that much money into them.

In conversations with EMG's head tech, Rick Hunt, Rick indicated that any EMG guitar humbucker could be used as a replacement for the Spirit's Selects. He said he especially liked the sound of the H3A and the H4A passives. They are also widely available and less expensive than the HBCS.

I haven't replaced the pickups in my XZ-25. If I do, I will probably try the H4As.

Steinbergerworld and Peekamoose are both great resources for info on Steinbergers and Spirits. Also, see the info on the Steinbergerworld Yahoo group (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/steinberger_world)

If you have other specific questions about the Spirits, I'll try to answer them, here.