Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are any of these basses available in unlined fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rogerbmiller, Oct 27, 2003.

1. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    I am interested in the following "value" basses but am not sure if they are available in fretless, preferably unlined. Company Websites give you everything but this info. Would appreciate your collective knowledge:

Music Man SUB
    G&L Tribute (Any model)
    Steinberger Spirit
    Conklin GT-7
    Cort Curbow 6

Thanks.

2. Have you tried emailing the company sites and asking them?

Just a thought!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    Do you mean Cheap when you say Value? Because if you do you hit the nail on the head with the S.U.B (unless you meant money wise, and not performance wise) and Conklin you are dead wrong, conklin (although I must admit, I dont like to play) are rather expensive, and good quality.

4. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    NYC
    By value I do not mean cheap at all. I mean that these basses offer many of the same features as their more edpensive counterparts. For example, the SUB is at a glance identical to the Stingray. Feels similar too, just some short cuts taken in putting it together. Same for the tribute vs. the G&L. Same design, different pricepoint due to cheaper production methodology.

I have tried emailing a lot of these manufacturers to see if they make fretless versions but they do not reply. I figured I would get better results here on the boards.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm fairly positive you can get the Cort Curbow unlined-just email Greg Curbow or visit his site. The GT7 is only available lined I believe. And if you're thinking about getting an SUB, you can probably find a used Stingray in great shape for about the same price-and they do come unlined.

6. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    No, the GT-7s normally come unlined.. The lined fretless is a $100 upcharge..

7. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    I do not know if the SUB is made in fretless, but I had the chance to try one out. Iwas a good sounding, well made bass for the money. It was a good value!

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I know the lined fretless is a $100 upcharge from the standard fretted price. I've never seen an unlined GT7, or even seen it offered as an option. Have you seen them somewhere?

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    the gt7's are not available unlined, to the best of my knowledge.

10. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Am I reading this wrong?? Seems to imply that a non-lined freless is the standard configuration..

[​IMG]

11. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's what I meant by a $100 upcharge from the fretted version. That page only has pictures of and makes reference to fretted basses (no mention of an unlined fretless anywhere), so I think it's safe to assume that it's a hundred more than a fretted.

12. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I think that means that it's $100 more than the fretted version? I've never seen an unlined one.

13. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I think it's saying that all of their necks are pre-lined (for fretted use) (it's factory assembled), but the $100 upcharge is for the extra man-labor involved in filling in the slots, shaping, etc.

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    But it's a totally different fb material.. There are no fretted ebanol models..