Are any rock-strings out there?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lazyman, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Hello,

I just wanna know if there are some strings that are highly recommend for rock and metal, 'cause I need some new strings for my J-Bass (I play with fingers) and so I wanna get good strings with a good tone. Do you know something about that?
    Thank you!
  2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Here are some sets to consider (all stainless steel roundwounds):

DR Lo-Riders
    DR Fat-Beams
    DR Hi-Beams
    Dean Markley SR2000
    Dean Markley Blue Steel
    Rotosound Swing Bass 66
    Labella Hard Rockin' Steel
  3. Excuse me, but I don't know much about strings, so may be you could tell me some more about the strings you've named? What are the differences between them and how does it feel to play them?
  4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I suppose roundwounds are the stereotypical rock/metal strings but don't let that limit your selection. I find flats work just as well.

The bottom line is that you're going to have to go through a long process of trial and error to find the right strings for you. Just because everybody on this board recommends one string doesn't mean it's the best string for you. An expensive lesson I learned the hard way.
  5. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Ernie Ball slinkies. sound good at first. then die quickly, but after you boil them they usually seem to last for a very long time. i've had the same set on my pbass for probably close to six months now and they still have a fresh sound. i also play in a rock band and use my fingers.
  6. bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    This is so true. Regarding that endless quest for the right tone....this is a long process of trial and error. Some string makers below that alot of rockers use.
    Ernie Ball

and alot more! Also...true about flats...there are flats out there that are suitable for rock. Good luck.
  7. You might want to try Thomastik Infeld Power Bass. They're pretty expensive, but they'll last longer. If you try TI's and like them, theres no going back to any other brand.