Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Avatar's really worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toby, Apr 19, 2005.

1. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Hey all, I'm looking for nice small gig cab. I get a lot of good things from this site regarding Avatar cabs and they are certainly cheap and light enough. But I wonder, how does an Avatar 112 compare to one of a high end maker like Aguilar? Theyre about half the price, but am I going to notice that "cheapness" in my tone. I play Alt. Rock and have a aggy db359 and gs 412 for the big gigs. I will still use that same head but would love a nice small easy to carry cab. Any suggestions?

2. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    I had a chance to play through a pair of the Avatar 112's and I think that they are really nice for the money. I have also seen Aguilar 112s for 300ish dollars. There are other good cabs in that price range but I think that the avatar isn't that far off the pace of the Aguilar. I also won a Avatar 210 and that cab does fine on small to meduim stages as well. They handle power well and you could check that thread on hotrodding the crossover. That is the weakpoint of the cab, IMO.

Pete

3. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have a 112C and a 212 - and I think they are both great cabs. Our recording engineer came to a gig once and commented on how good the bass sounded - better than he had heard in a long time. A good endorsement in my book.

4. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    At these prices they are definitely worth it. I think the Avvie 112 sounds better than the Aguilar 112 in the lows and especially mids. However, the Foster tweeter/crossover sound harsh. I use a pair of Avvie 112 right now and I will be upgrading but I'll have to pay! I'm even considering one portable high end cab with a good smooth tweeter to go with the Avvies and turn the Avvie tweeters off or maybe simply replacing the tweeter/crossover in the Avatars - they are that good/bad...

Is that confusing enough?

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Its not the greatest thing since sliced bread. It won't be the savior of your sound or a sign of the second coming.

But it IS a good+ sounding cab, light and darn cheap. I'm using a SB112, and am definitely satisfied with the build quality and sound. Musicians who don't know the Avatar name have been impressed with the tone, volume and portability of mine. I also bought it without having to save for weeks on end and without any post 'buyer's remorse'.

For the price there are many good- sounding or fair+/fair- sounding cabs out there.

That said, I'm getting a Schroeder 1212 soon and WILL eat rice & beans to afford it.

6. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA
    I have an SB112 and B210. I just finished making new crossovers for the both of them. They both sound GREAT!! Using my old SWR SM-400 the other night, my 112 sounded fantastic. Last night, I had a chance to go to the back of the club and listen to this same rig-SWR/Avatar at a jam session. The bassisit was playing a MIA Precision, and he sounded excellent through my rig! Very clear, tight, and focused tone that was low without being muddy. Very, very punchy and clear! Other musicians in the immediate vicinity also were heard to comment on the bass tone, too! I was using the B210 by itself in smallish clubs. I'll be using the SB112 from now on. Not that I don't love the B210 tone, I DO!!! The SB112 with crossover mod, using 1/2 or more of tweater, sounds fantastic. So does the 210. I had the both of them together today. KILLER smallish stack! Oh, I own two Aguilar GS-212's. I may sell one or both of them..................................................

7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The only cheapness with Avatar is the crossover, just change it, and it should be perfect.

8. I just had to say this....Jazzin, you and jpo259 have beautiful basses.
    jpo259...glad the crossover worked for you.
    Gary

9. jpo259

jpo259

Feb 2, 2005
    Corona, CA

I installed the crossover in my 210, put it all back together, and found out only one speaker was working!! I did some trouble-shooting, finally removing the grill and one speaker...to find out that at some point while having the back plate off, I cut one wire from a 1/4" jack to one speaker lead!! Doh!! Easy fix, cab sounds GREAT now! Oh, and yes, a Fireglo Ric is indeed a pretty bass....or so says the GORGEOUS waitress from Lithuania at my Sat. gig spot!!!! Thanks once again for all your help!

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Well thanks, but jpo259 has a way nicer bass than me! I didn't change my crossover yet, I'm still waiting for a reply from Steve's Music Store on whether they have it.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I recently picked up a DB 359, myself, and while I have not had an opportunity play through any Avatar cabs, I do own a pair of cabs (2x10 and 1x15) from Dr. Bass, and they sound killer with the 359. In fact, I ran through some of my better cabs with my 659/728 when I first picked them up, and on a whim, I also tried out the Dr. Bass cabs, and somewhat to my surprise, they really held their own! Here's a shot showing the competition that the little Dr. Bass cabs were up against:

[​IMG]

I'm sure the Avatars are very good, but if you are looking for some smaller, affordable cabs that sound great with Aguilar tube amps, I can vouch for Dr. Bass.

Tom.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have an sb112. It works well. It's a nice portable ca,b I run an old bassman thru it. Two light little pieces.

13. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Holy cow Tombowlus.... I am sooooo jealous. You could literally remove paint from houses with all that gear!!!!!!!!

Anyway, back to the cabs... I have & do now own several Avatar & Dr. Bass cabinets and I believe that for the money, you cannot beat them. The sound is great and Dave at Avatar has improved the horns he is now using. (I just unpacked my new B410 Avatar last night.)
    The turn around time from Marc at Dr. Bass is slower. I waited a month for my 212 cab, but had my 410 Avatar in 4 days from the order. The Dr Bass cabs have the bedliner type finish and are a little smaller than the carpeted Avatars.
    IMHO you would do well with either one....