1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Are Barefaced cabs really that good?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by George Law, Apr 15, 2018.

1. George Law

George Law

Jul 16, 2017
    Hey everyone, I'm getting a bit sick of lugging my 410 around now (8 ohm Ashdown ABM410H), it's a 600 watt cab with a 50 watt tweeter, I think it's about 35-40KG so not crazy heavy but enough to not want to carry very far on your own (awkward shape too) I'm generally not running a DI as I'm playing in small pubs - large clubs so I rely on my bass amp to do all the heavy lifting, for small gigs the ashdown is fine but it really struggles in larger rooms, I use a GK2001RB head in bridged mode (into 8 ohms it puts out about 650 watts although I'd like to be using a 4 ohm cab to get the full potential from the 2001rb) I'm starting to find that it's struggling a bit with my 5 string so I'm looking at getting a new cab, I've heard some pretty crazy things about barefaced cabs as well as vanderkley and a friend of mine has a bergantino 212 that he swears by, most of the hype seems to be for barefaced though. Their site definitely makes some bold claims, for example, they say that their Big Baby II cab can match the performance of a really good 410 or 810 and reccomend it to be used with amps up to 1600watts RMS!! with a frequency response of 30Hz-20kHz yet it's about half the weight of my Ashdown cab (a Vanderkley 410LNT 1200 Watt cab has a frequency response of 40Hz-16kHz and only weighs 24KG!!!) would the vanderkley not be suitable for a 5 string bass because it would not be able to reproduce the Low B fundamental? (somewhere around 30Hz I think) what's the deal with barefaced or other high end cabs are they really that good? cheers :) (Edit - it is in fact the Big Twin II that barefaced say can match the performance of a 410 or 810)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. godley69

godley69 Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Louisiana
    Vanderkley cabs can handle your low B for sure. I play through two 112MNTs and a 210MNT with an Aurora Head. I get compliments about my Vanderkley rig at every single gig!

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Barefaced cabs are that good.

I've got a pair of Big Baby II's that do amazing things. Loud outdoor gigs without PA support, yet making me sound like I've got full PA support.

hintz, Dp1363, Pbassmanca and 3 others like this.
  4. George Law

George Law

Jul 16, 2017
    cheers for the reply @godley69 I've seen a few demo videos of the aurora head, looks killer :) how loud would you say you play in relation to an an acoustic drum kit with a loud player?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  5. George Law

George Law

Jul 16, 2017
    @Dave W would you say one would not be enough to replace the 410?

6. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Depends on the 410, but I would say yes. A single BB2 essentially replaced my Bergantino CN212, which is an amazing cab in its own right and capable of doing a lot.

Pbassmanca and Plutonium244 like this.
  7. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Yes. 20180123_090930.

8. George Law

George Law

Jul 16, 2017
    sounds promising :) I'm fairly certain the CN212 is what my mate is using at the moment and he loves that, what would you say the sound difference is between the two? is the barefaced any louder?

9. George Law

George Law

Jul 16, 2017
    @ELG60 so is that a big twin II? I think that's what I meant to say earlier, I take it if the 112 (big baby II) can compete with a 410 then the Big Twin would have no problems? how would you describe it tonally? mid heavy? cheers :)

ELG60 likes this.
  10. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    I would like to characterize it as demonstrating to me what "full range" means. Now this is a rare, experimental 8Ohm unit, but still gets quite loud. The tonality is fairly neutral but you can get a range of coloration via the tweeter adjusting knob, from a more old-school tone, to a brighter one.

That being said, I believe that the 2 amps I typically use, the Mesa D-800+, and the GK MBFusion800 have more tonal effect than does the cabinet. To summarize , I characterize the BigTwin II as being LOUD & CLEAR.

I'm definitely interested in getting either another BT II or maybe a BB II at some point in the future but I'd not sell Audiokniesis, Greenboy, or Revsound too short either. That being said , i am a VERY satisfied customer. Hope that helps.

George Law likes this.
  11. George Law

George Law

Jul 16, 2017
    @ELG60 thanks a lot thats great :)

ELG60 likes this.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    No idea about Barefaced (or any of the other brands mentioned here), but you do not typically need or want to reproduce the low B fundamental. Most of the energy is found in the first harmonic, and anything lower than that contributes to rumble and mud on stage. A high pass filter set to around 45 to 50 Hz will 1) sound more articulate and “tighter”, 2) cut down on low-frequency “mud” on stage, 3) not fight with the kick drum, and 4) lower the risk of mechanical driver damage.

Mugre, sears, 40Hz and 3 others like this.
  13. honeyiscool

honeyiscool Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Short answer? Yes.

My Super Compact replaced an HDN210, really, it replaced two of them, but yeah, I haven't felt that any of Barefaced's claims were misleading.

The main thing about the HDN210, and most cabs, is that it's a very fine cab, but it becomes mid-heavy and lacking in bass as it gets pushed. It gets loud, but it's no longer the same sound. The Super Compact just gets louder and sounds no different as you turn it up, until you've saturated the room and it's no longer able to sustain any more volume. It is very warm, though, so if you want a more modern tone, I would recommend something with a tweeter. But since I like the warm tone, it works for me. The other strange thing is that my SC is a weirdly good guitar cabinet, whereas the HDN210 always sounded a bit recessed, if that makes sense.

And I like the fact that my SC costs less than a HDN210 helps, and likewise a BB2 costs less than a 2x12" from most boutique manufacturers.

14. George Law

George Law

Jul 16, 2017
    that's very interesting, I tend to play with a fairly mid heavy sound with a little bit of the typical GK growl. so I should just make sure that whatever I get will go down to 45 Hz?

HolmeBass likes this.
  15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I have a Super Twin on the way. I sincerely hope they are "That Good"

I actually love the tone my Avatar Stack gives me. And supposedly they are garbage compared to Barefeced.

So I am expecting the world from them!

Pbassmanca, Lowendtech and George Law like this.
  16. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I moved from a Berg CN212 with an occasional AE112 added to 2 Super Compacts. I loved my sound with Bergs but I'm loving my 2 Super Compacts even more. I've also just landed 2 Two10 cabs which I have to test on a gig. Sounds very good at home.

I'd believe the web site, but go over to the Barefaced Club thread and see what the owners and players are saying.

17. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Trending in no particular direction Supporting Member

As far as 410’s go, I’ll never own another one.
    I have a BF SupetTwin (no tweeter) and it’s very good. 17kg, 1200w 212. Also have the Two10 which is a great small club cab.
    The above recommendation for Audiokinesis is very appropriate as well. Duke’s cabs are among the best. I haven’t heard a better sounding cab.
    The current crop of Super cabs seem to make the old heavy square 410 pretty much obsolete if you’re looking for power and handling. (Just my opinion)

MDBass and George Law like this.
  18. George Law

George Law

Jul 16, 2017
    well, it certainly looks like you aren't going to be disappointed from the comments left here :)

FunkHead likes this.
  19. When you are quoting, or comparing frequency response numbers you are leaving out a big chunk of information if you don't include the roll-off for those numbers. To say something will go down to 30 Hz without referencing the level at 30 Hz is sort of meaningless. It's like saying you drove from point A to point B on only one tank of gas, but not knowing the capacity of the tank.

Is that speaker 6db, 10 db, or 20 db down at 30 Hz? How far down makes a world of difference.
    And then what does being 30 Hz down really mean?
    Does 30 Hz really figure in to being in the mix? Or are you just using up power to pump air that isn't heard?

Also most power ratings for speakers are at some frequency way above 30 Hz.
    A speaker rated for X watts, at 400 Hz, might only be good for half of that at 40 Hz.
    Most people who are trying to defeat mud, tighten up the mids, and protect speakers avoid putting energy into speakers at those low frequencies by adding High Pass Filters to their rigs. For now a good start is to cut the bass in the amp's EQ settings. It may seem counter intuitive, but cutting the lows will often make your bass sound better.

20. George Law

George Law

Jul 16, 2017
    I see, where would I likely find that information? it doesn't seem to be something that most manufacturers quote on their sites

Pbassmanca likes this.