Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are Bart jazz pu's pole or blade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gintaras, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I have just put my set of Bart jazz pu's on a brice douglas fretless 5. Sounds great but I really dislike the spacing. I measured neck at the nut and the last fret and it is just a 1/16" larger than a precision 4 string neck. I would love to convert this to a 4 string with 19 or 20mm spacing but the only issue that I have is in the 5 string Bart pickups. Are the pickups the blade type or do they have poles. I had these pickups in a precision 5 with 19mm spacing and now i now in the brice with 16.5 and both sounded great.
    Can anybody shed some light on this subject. :meh:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the Bart J's I've used have been blades

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    so if they are blade, that means that lining them up doesnt have to be exact, right?

4. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I had read on talkbass that blade type pu's do not have an alignment problem like the poles. I am trying to reaffirm this so that I can go on with my project....:D

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The bart humbuckers I've seen have been split coil in-line, so you don't totally eliminate it as an issue. Having said that, unless you have a string directly over the split I can't see any issue. Even then, I guess it's still possible it'd sound fine but have never tried it.

Pickups like Active EMG J's are not split in-line, and so your only concern is making sure the strings vibrate within the width.

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The splits on side-by-side coils shouldn't be a problem anyway - you'd have to be way off in placement. It's 3/2 for a Five, 2/2 for a Four, 3/3 for a Six.

Only problem with blades can be string balance and radius matching, but no more so than a lot of pole-piece pickups out there provided strings are set up right and of appropriate gauges. I also like the way blade output is consistent and even when a string is being bent or has a real wide excursion.