Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are bass cabs more advanced then guitar cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aenema, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    what do you guys think? we have 2x12 cabs that can easily hang with half stacks and even full stacks. maybe bass cab producers are putting more time and money into the technology of the speakers/cabs?

2. That has more to do with the amp and wattage/impedance than how many speakers

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    doesnt it take way more power to move bass though? seems like to should even the stakes as far as that goes.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    No, it's a matter of bass having to extend deep and run clean while guitar is exactly the opposite. Guitar cabs don't need technology, and in fact work better without it.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    What Bill said! You can throw as money at it as you like, but that's not going to change the laws of physics.

To answer your question, building a bass cab is a lot harder than building a guitar cab. Bass cabs are definitely more advanced!

6. +1.

There are advanced guitar cabs available, but all that technology has done is caused those guitarist to clash even more with the bassist.....thus they're not very popular.

7. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    IME, it's the inefficiencies of guitar rigs that make them what they are. The old Celestion greenbacks are coveted because of the character they add to the sound, not the transparency.

Guitarists get the sound by pushing things to the edge. They want amps to breakup and speakers to bark and buzz. That's the sound they are looking for.

Plus, it takes almost no power to make a guitar stupid loud. I play with a guy who uses a 32W 212 Tophat that will give you a nose bleed. It's more about the sound for them, the efficiencies are unneeded.

8. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    oh i see. guitar cabs only need to have good tone because volume has never been a problem. where bass needs to worry about effiency and tone. i mean they could make bass cabs sound great... but if they arent efficient.... what good are they if you cant hear them in the mix? word up. :bassist:

9. A great example is a vox AC30. IMHO the best sounding amp ever made for guitar, I've even used mine to record bass with. Exact same amp with guitar is about 20x louder than with bass. It's all about getting those lows up at a clean playable volume.

10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Yes. Yes they are.