Are bass players nicer than other musicians?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Al Garcia, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Al Garcia

Al Garcia

May 28, 2016
    I play guitar as well as bass. I've noticed that on a lot of the guitar sites I've been on, the amount of snarkiness and trolling is much higher than on TalkBass. Here there is little to none. Everyone is friendly and ready to help with advice and information.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all you fellow low-enders.

Wisebass, JRA, NigelD and 2 others like this.
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I can only compare guitar players as well, from social media & I agree 100%.

Feliz Martes!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2017
    knumbskull likes this.
  3. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

We have snark a-plenty if you want it :D Mostly though, it's the smart arse variety with humor not humiliate as the focus. I no longer frequent a certain manufacturer guitar forum because the cliques are real.

JRA and knumbskull like this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    You must be new :D

Kidding. TB is a friendly place, and i have observed that bassists are usually pretty chilled out individuals. Of course there is always the exception who proves the rule, and this IS the internet so a keyboard-warrior showdown is never far away... but in general, yes :)

Merry xmas!

JRA and Killed_by_Death like this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I used to try that, but maybe I didn't use enough smile emoticons, because apparently people took it in the worst possible way sometimes.

JRA likes this.
  6. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Are bass players nicer than other musicians?

lol...I've found the answer to that to be not really. There are nut cases in every instrument peer group. But the most irritating might be a former drummer turned bass player.

gebass6, MonsterRain and JRA like this.
  7. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    We're definitely better looking

fretlessguy, hrodbert696 and Oddly like this.
  8. NO!

Actually yes.

And we here at TB live in fear of ban-hammer.jpg

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i feel like i get your posts without them...but i've definitely seen some 'torching' sentiment directed at a few of your posts. i'm recommending this one, KBD: :laugh:

i think i know who you're talking about...:roflmao:

the snarkiest of all musician groups, IMO, are violinists who can't swing.

Wisebass and Killed_by_Death like this.
  10. Generally speaking, probably. One thing to keep in mind is that the mods keep things civil. Otherwise this forum would be devoted to the death of non-Fender basses, especially if they have coffee table tops, and more than 4 strings.

A general observation in life is that most people are good. The problem is that loud and obnoxious people meet no resistance. The smart/good people let them "win" all the dang time, which only makes the obnoxious people stronger.

11. For one, You can’t say much here in TB without getting the boot. I got a warning a couple years back.

I also think that the majority of tb members are a lot older and because of that less childish. Which is probably part of the reason certain polls go the way they do and tend to have the same results year after year. Tb generally is a great place for information on vintage gear but can be a struggle sometimes with modern gear. For example I’d guess that a lot of the younger folks are more likely to be into the effects forum while the older folks are in the bass forums saying I love my p bass, I love your p bass, we love our p basses, and so on. Lol

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
    wmmj, eJake and Killed_by_Death like this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No we're not. Now go away...... I say, go away kid. Ya bother me. :spit:

:wacky:

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

You can (and do) get jerks in any population of people - this forum has something like a quarter of a million members, they can't all be angels. But the OP may be right about bassists. Taken as a group, we're maybe a little more likely to accept the reality that we need to mesh with a group in band situations, and thus a little less likely to have delusional ego problems. A little.

And, yeah... the staff of this particular forum enforce the rules, and the rules are meant to head off disruptive behavior and keep everything civil and constructive. It can rankle people who aren't used to such active moderation, but considering the size and longevity of TB, I would say it seems to be working.

gebass6 and Jhengsman like this.
  14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hang_him_high.jpg

Yes!! active moderation works (sometimes :laugh::laugh::laugh:)

Hi Al

You found out what I already knew :D

Information: Bassplayers are nicer than other musicians!!!

Advice: Fire the drummer, have fun, play more bass

best wishes for 2018 :)

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

hrodbert696 likes this.
  15. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I would have said so, before using this site, lol. Now, I don't think so.

Gluvhand likes this.
  16. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba

Apr 30, 2017
    USA
    Yes

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021