Are basses ever sold at MSRP's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Aug 9, 2005.

1. If not so why are they suggested? Do they serve more as a price ceiling?
  2. not around here they dont. i dont think anybody ever pays full price for a bass. it's just like buying a car, nobody buys the "suggested" price. also, retailers know that if they put them on sale, they will sell many more than if they sell them for MSRP.
  3. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I would certainly never pay MSRP - however those are the prices I would use for insuring my gear (renters or homeowners insurance)
  4. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    MRSP is pretty much guaranteed to be the selling price where I'm at. They should get rid of it!
  5. I use 70% of the MSRP as my upper guideline; I never pay more and will happily pay less for production instruments. Most boutique gear has a much smaller mark-up so you will pay closer to MSRP. A couple more hints: don't let GC try to sell you the case or gigbag that came with the bass (and is included in the MSRP) separately and cash money speaks louder than credit cards when you're wheelin' and dealin'!
  6. Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    there is a guitar store here that sells epiphone peavey and washburn only. all of the instruments by these 3 brands cost about twice what you can get them for on line. its outragous... $799 for the EB0 minus case. the cheap one... the $200 on ebay one...
  7. wow that sucks man, sorry to hear, maybe you should move down here :)
    but seriously, our local music store is great about guitar/bass prices, i've almost always found a better deal there (as compared to GC) on amps and basses (there was only one instance where they had a higher price, and that was pickups that they would have to custom order).
  8. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Sadowsky Metros are all sold for MSRP, NYC's are obviously custom and priced as quoted. If a dealer advertises for below MSRP on Sadowsky Metro I believe they can lose their dealership. Most are selling as fast as they get them.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sadowsy Metros and Mesa Boogie are sold for what the manufacturer says... being MSRP. It really depends on the manufacturer.