Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

are bassists better dancers?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by danqi, May 31, 2001.

1. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    could it be that bassplayers in general are better dancers because they have a better feel for the groove?
    as for myself i can't judge it because i am just starting to learn how to play the bass.

orthanc

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Or, what about vice-versa?

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There isn't a correlation to one's chosen instrument and ability to dance well, IMO. I think it's just a matter of having a rhythmic sense and being beat focused. I do think women are more beat-focused than men, though. Whether it's cultural or some other factor is beyond me.

The clubs I play have a lot of freak dancers. Talk about being on the beat!!!! :eek: Now some towns are cracking down on it.

4. Fishbrain

Fishbrain

Dec 8, 2000
    England, Liverpool
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass and Amp
    not if im nething to go by, lol :p

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't think there's a correlation. See, eg. John Entwhistle.

6. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    If my dancing ability is any reflection of my bass playing then I need to spend about a billion more hours practicing :D

7. Bean

Bean

May 4, 2001
    Kentucky
    I'm a bad dancer too. Maybe it's DRUMMERS who dance better...?

8. twiggy

twiggy Guest

Apr 27, 2001
    nc
    I agree with killer b except i do not think a billion could help me. I think i will need more like two billion because all i can manage is the old jackson moonwalk

9. i cant even play and chew gum at the same time, let alone dance

10. I have to go along with the general concensus here and say that I can't dance for anything. Maybe it should be said that bass players make horrible dancers. Or perhaps they just fit into the Beatles song Helter Skelter..."you may be alover but you aint no dancer"

11. i can do the benecian trout dance!!!!

12. JOhnk

JOhnk

Mar 31, 2001
    burlington, vt
    I kind of just mill around on stage.. walk behind people, angrily glare at the drummer, feel depressed about the guitarist's show-off-itude, although he has the skill to back it up.

13. Well, with these two left feet, I can hardly stop WALKING in circles, let alone dance.

And Bean, drummers tyically have the WORST rhythm on a dance floor. Never really understood why... (again, this is based on the ten little left piggies I see when I look down.