Are bassists more susceptible to GAS than guitarists or keyboardists, or about the same?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by totalnoob, Nov 25, 2022.

1. totalnoob

totalnoob

Sep 6, 2022
    To me it seems that guitarists and bassists are about equally likely to be affected by GAS. I've seen mind-boggling collections in both camps, but I'm not a very sociable person so I haven't met that many in person.

What is your observation?

murphy likes this.
  2. bwildt

bwildt

Mar 21, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I think it is more a function of personality type as opposed to choice of instrument. Some people obsess on equipment. Some people find musical choices and expression more important than tone/timbre (this is me). Some people just want to have fun and not think about any of that stuff.

Drummers GAS particularly over snares and cymbals. So many different sounds are available. Something better is always around the corner.

Guitarists can easily GAS on effects boxes.

3. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    What is GUS? ;)

4. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Gear Under Stage

Groove Until Stopped

Going Under Slowly

Get Uber SoIdon'thavetowalk

mikewalker, Fialka, mb94952 and 24 others like this.
  5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    As someone who also plays some guitar and keyboards, I can say yes. We experience GAS for guitars and keys just like bass.

6. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    True. I don't play keys, but I'm GASsing for a Charvel San Dimas HH HT and a Marshall half stack.

mapleglo and Killing Floor like this.
  7. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    depends on his opening line...:roflmao:

8. Shepsdad

Shepsdad

Sep 22, 2019
    My GAS attacks involve bass, guitars, drums, recording gear, and harmonicas. I’m completely screwed, because I’m getting interested in keyboards as well.

9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    You might not want to look up the red levant limited edition quarter stack JCM800.
    If you play bass and guitar you can definitely have GAS for both.
    2-12!
    It says a lot that 2 12” cab is called a quarter stack. I need.
    upload_2022-11-25_8-53-42.png

mikewalker, rockdoc11, Atshen and 3 others like this.
  10. Headless horse

Headless horse Inactive

Nov 4, 2022
    Latvia
    50/50

11. skycruiser

skycruiser

Jan 15, 2019
    Gear Unquisition Syndrome. When you sell off the gear you bought due to Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

12. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I'd say as a bassist and a guitarist, you have about the same opportunities for GAS, so if you're a gear head you can indulge at leasure.
    As a Keys player, the question is how much you are into synth sounds.
    I know a few keys people that are more into stage piano / organ. There is that red thing called something Nord something that seems to do organ exceptionally well, because that's what they all play if they don't lug around a Hammond and Leslie. But I have not seen these obsessing over gear in an amount that equals those of guitar and bass players.

Drummers are a different breed entirely. As a drummer, you need a mind boggling amount of gear. So you need to be (or become) something of a gearhead just to put together your kit - and the possibilities of GAS are sheer endless. It's glorious! It's a nightmare!

mikewalker, Phaidrus and totalnoob like this.
  13. I was going to say "gear unloading syndrome" but I like your new word better.

14. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    GUS??!?!?! WHO'S NOT SUSCEPTIBLE TO GUS GUS ????!!!
    [​IMG]

mikewalker, Alik, Atshen and 6 others like this.
  15. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Gear Usurpation Syndrome

When last month's Number 1 is displaced by your newest acquisition and now your previous Number 12 becomes one too many and you have to sell it even though it was Number 1 when you got it a year ago.

16. Plain Old Barry

Plain Old Barry Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Connecticut
    One of my guitarists just acquired his 45th guitar. A keyboard playing friend in NYC has an entire bedroom full of instruments.

Draw your own conclusion. :laugh:

mikewalker, tbz and totalnoob like this.
  17. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    For some reason my mental picture of Gus was some greasy Diner owner/cook that yells at his waitresses.

Old_Noob and Pdaddy1978 like this.
  18. Gear Unloading Syndrome. It’s a rare but cruel disease that affects only 1 in 10,000,000 musicians, but it’s heartbreaking when it afflicts someone you know. Please help by sending your tax-deductible gift of unwanted gear to me today.

19. BassyBill

BassyBill Still here Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I can get GAS for almost any purchase, musical or non-musical. Gear, recordings, clothing, books, travel, household goods, cars and women.

murphy and SoulReflection like this.
  20. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    RougHouse
    Gus is my alter ego, the little voice inside my head that says, "Buy! Buy! Buy!" when I know I should be saying, "Bye! Bye! Bye!". You can't trust Gus. :eyebrow:

mikewalker, matt-o-, Atshen and 2 others like this.