Are bassists the most easily butt-hurt of all musicians?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by donCameron, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Yes

22.3%
  2. Of Course

20.6%
  3. Maybe

57.1%
  1. donCameron

donCameron Inactive

Jun 3, 2017
    Pittsburgh
    After joining his group, I've really started to wonder. I started with piano and guitar and didn't really get into bass until I was working at a studio in the 90s and so many of the bassists that came through couldn't play or maintain their instruments that I started doing fixes and then just playing.

I'm amazed at how easily triggered so many of the posters in this forum can be.

What do you think?

2. Modest_Moose

Modest_Moose

Dec 26, 2014
    Washington
    You haven't met the guitarist in my band

3. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Bassists tend to think they are grownups, and everybody else are children.

They're only half right.

4. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    They are pretty stable in the real world, but on talkbass folks are just lined up waiting to get wound up over something

5. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Shouldn't NO be one of the options in your poll? Based on my 40 years of experience, guitarists have the most fragile egos. And my opinion is not just comparing guitarists to singers, bassists, or drummers. I'm including keys, brass, winds, percussion, and strings as well.

6. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I think the fact that you don't allow for a 'no' votes indicates that you've already made up your mind. ;)

7. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

Of course, one of the few positions in a band where there are usually more than one, might have something to do with it.

Drummers.........well a ton of people take up drums and a handful are gifted and about 1/3 out there are useable

pablomago and HMZ like this.
  8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

Seven years on TB and I'm still amazed sometimes by some of the nonsense I see here. TB has no correlation to the real world. I think being able to hide behind their keyboards emboldens some people to say things they would be afraid to say if you could just reach over and smack them. :D

9. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    IME the answer would be no

I think Singer would be a more accurate answer but they may not even qualify as "musician"

10. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Maybe because people go around saying stuff like this ^.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This.

And bass players don't hold a candle to singers when it comes to flip out hair triggers.

12. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Butt-hurt? What kind of a term is that? And what are you doing prodding around people's butts in the first place?

13. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Not hardly

Cheez likes this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

00 images2b2.png

i agree with this. tb is entertainment. good information can be gathered and gleaned (important stuff), but in the final analysis: i think most folks participate here because it's fun...something to do.

most of the time.

well, sometimes.

occasionally.

possibly?

15. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    Pull Up To The Bumper

Pendulous, MrLenny1 and bass12 like this.
  16. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Well-played. :D

foal30 likes this.
  17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

There are some really nice people on TB and some really knowledgable people too. For the most part, it is a fun place, although it does seem that personal attacks have been increasing lately.

DaDo625, Wisebass, retslock and 4 others like this.
  18. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Now there is a colloquialism I am unfamiliar with. I like its rhythm, care to enlighten me?

instrumentalist and Rock Salad like this.
  19. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    It's the person not the instrument.
    People in the creative arts, imho, are more prone to butt hurt.
    Personally, I can't single out one type of musician, be it bass, guitar, drums, vocalists, horns, etc.
    That experiences the majority of emotional behaviors. I think it's pretty even across the board.

Butt.jpg

20. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm butthurt by your use of the term butthurt. Anal rape is no laughing matter, plus from a certain perspective, it's pretty darn homophobic. Could the moderators please consider adding butthurt to the profanity filter? I propose "bum tickled" as a suitable euphamism.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021