1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Are Behringer chorus effects good value for money?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sfxster, Oct 12, 2013.

1. sfxster

sfxster

Apr 12, 2011
    Chile
    So I found a couple of real cheap Behringer choruses (that's how you say chorus in plural??), the CO600 and UC200 and I wanna know if they are ok for playing bass. Has someone tried them?

I know I can't expect too much for a 30 dollars plastic stompbox but as far as I know there are some decent effects...

2. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

No.
    You can get a used Boss, Digitech or MXR chorus pedal for not much more than that. The B... pedal might sound ok, but they are known to break easily.

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I've had good exp with Beringer pedals. I've never tried the chorus but if I found one for $20 I'd probably drop the money just to try it out. That's my opinion anyway. I mean, you sort of get what you pay like you were saying but I think most Beringer pedals are worth it. I have one of their trems and it works great. Although I needed a boost pedal with it because of the volume drop off of the trem, it was still worth it to me. But you can find a different brand used anywhere from $40 to $80 that would probably be better. I've never been a big fan of boss choruses just because they aren't very pronounced. I like a chorus that stands out. If you are willing to spend a little extra, I mean like $120, get a zoom 70CDR. THERE IS TONS OF CHIRUS, delay and other modulation effects to play with in that great little box.

4. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I picked up a Behringer Chorus a couple years ago. Used it for a few months. No complaints here. Sound was OK, esp for what I paid for it. They are a little noisy, but for $30 I thought it was actually a pretty good chorus.

5. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I had the Ultra Bass Chorus. Not bad at all for $30, though it was a little bright for my tastes. I sold it when I got the Boss CEB-3, which is more subtle and more to my liking.

6. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Behringer is more suitable for beginners. I would suggest getting either a danelectro fab chorus or a danelectro cool cat cc-1 chorus pedal. these chorus pedals are affordable and they sound phenomenal on bass.

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    While I'll second the Cool Cat being a great pedal, I tend to take the 'for beginners' sort of comments with a grain of salt. I've had Behringer gear and it's performed really well and was a great new pricepoint.

I'll also second used 'mid-range' gear as being almost as affordable as new cheap Behringer gear.

If you have the cash to drop and want some fun then why not? If you have the time to wait and get some more durable boxes then it's pretty prudent to pass on Behringer...though that's the main reason I'd do so.

8. sfxster

sfxster

Apr 12, 2011
    Chile
    I've been looking for the effects you say but I can't found them in my country at a good price (as reference, a new ODB3 is 150USD) and sadly ebay isn't an option now.

Found the Danelectro FAB Chorus at the same price, is it the better choice?

9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

IMO, yes, it is a better choice. It's built better and may even sound better. I've heard nothing good things about those pedals.

10. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    I have an old steel 18v Cool Cat and its great. It eventually got replaced by the MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe but for some reason I still have it around and use it fromm time to time.

I gave the Behringer to some kid starting out who bought a markbass super booster from me and wanted a chorus.

If you can find a 18V Cool Cat get one. Aside from the voltage the size is an issue too,, but they are good and inexpensive

11. Darkonar

Darkonar

Dec 14, 2011
    Chile
    Maybe in North America, here in Chile those usually go for double or triple the Behringer's price, used. That being said, I won't need to say anything about brand new prices. :meh:

To OP, you sure can get away with those Behringers, they usually get the job done, don't stomp too hard on them and you're golden. Then there's the Danelectro's, as gregmon79 says, good option too.

You might as well check our local forum chilemusicos.net for good deals on used gear. :)

Saludos!

12. DirtyDuke

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    IS it crazy expensive to ship stuff to Chile or Australia for that matter? The prices seem insane there. If shipping isn't ridiculious maybe just buy from the classifieds here.

13. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

I meant I've heard nothing BUT good things about those pedals. Sorry for the confusion.

14. Darkonar

Darkonar

Dec 14, 2011
    Chile
    Music gear retail is about 30% more expensive than in the U.S as far as I remember. Dedicated importers can go even up to 50% more expensive with shipping costs + taxes + (I guess minimal) profit margin. Yup it's pretty expensive but not as outrageous as you may think.

I, personally haven't bought brand new in almost three years and have been replacing all my gear with custom made and local brands gear, it's way cheaper and the same, often better quality. :smug:

Edit: Oh yeah, no idea about Australia or N.Z, but I doubt it's too different.

15. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Reading my first post... might have came out a little harsh.

Behringer pedals ARE a good way to start into pedaland. For someone who considers buying a pedal and keeping it for a while, other options can be considered. And yes, there are more than a few TBers that happily own Behringer pedals.

:)

16. sfxster

sfxster

Apr 12, 2011
    Chile
    I don't know the situation with Australia-Chile but I guess it's the same as US-Chile shipping.

Well, it's not THAT expensive but the real problem is with our customs and postal service. Many packages get lost and/or stolen there plus the two-three months delivery time. Courrier companies like DHL or Fedex are quite fast but the shipping is insanely expensive.