Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Are 'better' basses louder? Are they easier to mic. up?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jeremy Morgan, Jan 31, 2005.

1. I have limited experience as far as basses go - I've owned two; the first a plywood & now a fully carved one.

I have been experimenting recently with mic. based amplification (for a better tone), but am coming to the conclusion that my bass is just not loud enough to amplify with a mic. Too much gain is required, which results in feedback way below the volume level I require (for a big band).

Reading the posts on this forum I noticed that people have varying degrees of success with microphone amplification.

I was wondering if one factor that might explain these differences is the un-amplified volume level of the various basses.

A quieter bass will need more gain to amplify to a set level, and will therefore pick up increased extraneous noise & feed back more easily.

My bass seems very quiet to me. It will hardly keep up with an acoustic piano un-amplified (I'm talking pizz. here).

Is there any way to make a bass louder e.g. by moving the soundpost etc.? Or is it a case of a more expensive/better instrument will be louder (as well as having a better tone)?

I've tried various strings, but can't say I noticed any difference in volume levels.

Thanks for your help!

2. a. meyer

a. meyer

Dec 10, 2004
    portland, oregon
    A "better" bass may not necessarily be louder, but its tone should project farther. As to increasing volume, there are a number of things you can do, such as adjusting the soundpost (cheap) and putting a shim under the fingerboard (not so cheap). You should discuss it with a good luthier. I suspect something isn't right with your setup if different strings result in little volume change. Try Thomastik Dominants; they're the loudest strings on the planet! By the way, I've found that having the bass set up to sound its best acoustically doesn't always yield the best amplified tone; i.e. you get less feedback and "boom" when the bass is set up a little quieter.